Jennie Edmundson Memorial Hosp
933 E Pierce,Council Bluffs, IA
Casual, Day Shift, Days, PRN
- Purpose of Job
- Provides patient care to include personal hygiene, ADL's, vital sign monitoring, transportation and student nurse interventions as delegated and supervised by the RN.
- Job Requirements
- Actively enrolled in an accredited nursing ADN program and ready to start final year or BSN program and ready to start junior year soon after the program start date.
- Previous Nurse Assistant work experience preferred.
Active on the Nurse Aide Registry (NAR) for work state required.
- BLS certification through an AHA approved course prior to program start date required.
- Skill using computers.
- Skill organizing and prioritizing work.
- Skill with verbal and written communication.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations.
- Ability to adhere to all workplace and safety requirements, regulations, standards, and practices.
- Physical Requirements
- Weight Demands
- Medium Work - Exerting up to 50 pounds of force.
- Frequently Performed (34%-66%):
- Occasionally Performed (1%-33%):
- Constantly Performed (67%-100%):
- Not Related:
- Rare (1-33%):
- Occasionally (34%-66%):
- Frequent (67%-100%):
- Essential Job Functions
- Essential Functions I
- Provides appropriate care specific to the age of the customer/patient, to ensure understanding and comfort level of treatment, as outlined in the Age Specific Criteria.
- Gives individualized customer service/patient care.
- Completes age specific competency assessment.
- Exhibits excellent interpersonal relations with patients, co-workers, physicians, and patient families/visitors to ensure effective communications.
- Responds to patient needs promptly and courteously.
- Obtains feedback from patients and visitors regarding their hospital experience.
- Communicates patient issues to the appropriate staff.
- Maintains a positive attitude while responding to requests in a timely and accurate manner.
- Communicates with other members of the health care team (food service, secretaries, housekeeping, etc.) as indicated.
- Actively participates in report process.
- Completes clinical activities identified in the patient's plan of care to meet patients' comfort/activity/sleep needs and other clinical patient needs as delegated by RN staff.
- Provides clinical care of patients as evidence by previous clinical experiences and competency validation.
- Reports patient comfort needs to nurse in a timely manner.
- Assists RN with delegated skills/tasks for which student nurse tech has received training upon while gaining nursing exposure and experience.
- Ensures that skin is clean and dry.
- Reports any noticed skin changes, pain, nausea/vomiting, decreased mobility, changes in level of orientation, etc.
- Provides personal care and assists with ADL (activities of daily living).
- Provides assistance with ambulation, range of motion repositioning, turning and chair transfers.
- Completes vital signs per patient's plan of care.
- Weighs patients per patient's plan of care.
- With oversight and/or direction reinforces patient education.
- Provides transportation assistance.
- Administers CPR in emergency situations.
- Reports any variation from patient's plan of care to RN staff.
- Attends to patient amenities; e.g., newspaper, mail.
- Documents all data collected, in Cerner and/or on worksheets, accurately, completely, and in a timely manner to provide an accurate record of patient activities and response to activities.
- Documentation is completed in an ongoing basis prior to end of shift.
- Documentation reflects patient's responses to activities according to patient's plan of care.
- Documentation reflects care delivered.
- Provides activities to contribute to a safe, efficient, effective and sanitary patient care environment.
- Assures room is clean and free of clutter.
- Removes trash and soiled linen from room each shift and as needed.
- Maintains patient environment, such as spills and room temperature, or actively utilizes Integrated Services team to do so properly.
- Stocks individual room carts with needed nursing supplies.
- Distributes linens.
- Straightens and restocks patient care areas per par levels.
- Function alongside CNA's to help patients perform activities of daily living, while encouraging independence among the patients.
- Consistently recognizes and utilizes measures to provide for safe, efficient, patient care and work environment.
- Answers Call Lights in a timely manner and response to the patient request and/or relays request to appropriate resource when necessary.
- Performs other duties as delegated/under the direction of the RN staff.
- Ensures coverage of all duties when self or other staff are off the nursing unit.
- Assists other team members when own work is complete.
- Appropriately reports incidents.
- Utilizes Standard Precautions and Transmission-based Precautions infection control techniques correctly and consistently.
- Utilizes safe patient handling equipment and techniques appropriately.
- Directly responsible to the licensed nurse and assists in the care of the patient by performing activities delegated by the license nurse based on task, circumstance, person, communication and supervision.
Essential Functions II
- Participates in mandatory in-services and/or CE programs as mandated by policies and procedures/external agencies and as directed by management.
- Follows and understands the mission, vision, core values, Employee Standards of Compassionate Care/AIDET and company policies/procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
Nebraska Methodist Health System is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other classification protected by Federal, state or local law.