Responsible for patient meal service on nursing units.
Equivalent Education and/or Experience
May have an equivalent combination of education and experience to substitute for the experience requirements.
Must have a certificate of completion of a food handler training course accredited by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) and/or the Texas Department of State Health Services (TXDSHS) or must obtain one within sixty (60) days of placement in the role.
Skills or Special Abilities
Must be able to read, write, and follow instructions.
Must be able to demonstrate knowledge of food service and related job duties and be able to follow proper sanitation procedures within three months of employment.
Must be able to communicate effectively with co-workers.
Must be able to operate a PC and perform basic computer entries within three months.
1. Passes patient meal trays and late trays. Sets up bedside table. Fills special meal requests and delivers in-between meal snacks.
2. Passes menus to patients, assists with menu selection and collects completed menus.
3. Communicates and addresses patient food and nutrition issues to diet office, clinical and supervisory staff. Interacts with nursing prior to meal delivery to verify patient diet orders. Ensures changes of diet orders are accurate and meal delivery is correct.
4. Communicates and interacts with unit staff/nursing regarding unit nourishment and food service needs.
5. Assists Clinical Dietitians with monitoring of patients who are NPO, on liquid diets or patients on calorie counts.
6. Cleans up spills in patient rooms related to meals, collects soiled trays/dishes and transports to the kitchen for cleaning.
7. Responsible for quality service reflected in patient satisfaction survey results.
8. Is knowledgeable of dietary restrictions for all modified diets to ensure that food preferences are met and within the guidelines of diet order limitations.
9. Ensures self education by attending mandated inservice educational sessions and reading or studying materials that are applicable to Nutrition Services. Integrates this knowledge as appropriate into the job.
1. Identifies ways to improve work processes and improve customer satisfaction. Makes recommendations to supervisor, implements, and monitors results as appropriate in support of the overall goals of the department and Parkland.
2. Stays abreast of the latest developments, advancements, and trends in the field by attending seminars/workshops, reading professional journals, actively participating in professional organizations, and/or maintaining certification or licensure. Integrates knowledge gained into current work practices.
3. Maintains knowledge of applicable rules, regulations, policies, laws and guidelines that impact the area. Develops effective internal controls designed to promote adherence with applicable laws, accreditation agency requirements, and federal, state, and private health plans. Seeks advice and guidance as needed to ensure proper understanding.
Parkland Health and Hospital System prohibits discrimination based on age (40 or over), race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, disability, national origin, marital status, political belief, or veteran status.
Nearest Major Market: Dallas
Nearest Secondary Market: Fort Worth
Job Segment: Nutrition, Patient Care, Healthcare Administration, Healthcare