Responsible for providing health care for patients in designated primary or specialty areas, including patient diagnoses, treatment, education, and referrals. Serves as a resource and role model for clinical practice, training, evaluation, and direct management of practitioners and students in all areas encompassed by the service line to ensure optimal patient care quality. Assist leadership in assessing, planning, organizing, and implementing designated advanced practice provider activities.
MINIMUM SPECIFICATIONS Education
- Physician Assistant: Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university and successful completion of an accredited Physician Assistant Program recognized by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or its predecessors.
- Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN):
Master's Degree in Nursing accredited through the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) or the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc. (ACEN).
- 3 plus years of clinical experience as an Advanced Practice Provider (APP) performing the same or similar job duties.
- 5 plus years of clinical experience as an Advanced Practice Provider (APP) in any field. Equivalent Education and/or Experience - Current employees hired at Parkland before 3/1/2014, may have an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must have current healthcare provider CPR course completion card from one of the following:
- American Heart Association
- American Red Cross
- Military Training Network.
- Must meet and maintain licensing and registration requirements as delineated by the Medical Staff Bylaws, Medical Staff Rules and Regulations, and Credentialing Policies/Procedures.
- Current certification in Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) and must be attained within 90 days of being hired and maintained throughout employment.
- Physician Assistant: Must have current, valid Physician Assistant license from the Texas Board of Physician Assistants Must have active certification as a Physician Assistant by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants Must have a current Physician Assistant license from the Texas Board of Physician Assistants.
Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (Nurse Practitioner):
Current RN license from the Texas Board of Nursing; or, valid Compact RN license Current license from the Texas Board of Nursing as an Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) with authorization to practice as a Family, Adult, Pediatric, Neonatal, Psychiatric Mental Health or Women's Health Nurse Practitioner. Must have active certification as a Nurse Practitioner by one of the following:
- Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) by American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC)
- Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Primary Care (PNP-PC or PPCNP) by Pediatric Nursing Certification Board (PNCB) or ANCC
- Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Acute Care (PNP-AC) by PNCB
- Neonatal Nurse Practitioner (NNP) by NCC
- Women's Health Nurse Practitioner (WHCNP) by National Certification Corporation.
Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (Nurse Midwife):
Current RN licensure from the Texas Board of Nursing; or, valid Compact RN license Current licensure as an Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) with authorization to practice as a Nurse Midwife by the Texas Board of Nursing. Must have active certification as a Certified Nurse Midwife (CNM) by the American Midwifery Certification Board (AMCB) or its predecessor Current employees without an NP certification must obtain certification within 2 years of placement into the position.
Skills or Special Abilities:
- Provides care to the assigned patient population in accordance with the current State of Texas Nursing Practice Act or Texas Medical Board Rules, as applicable to licensure, established protocols, multidisciplinary plan of care, and clinical area-specific standards.
- Must demonstrate leadership ability through both superior clinical skills and as a practice development resource.
- Must have effective verbal and written communication skills. - Must have effective leadership skills to include motivation, recruitment, retention, and change management.
- Must demonstrate knowledge of Parkland policies, structure, procedures, and mission.
- Must demonstrate patient-centered behaviors.
Spanish proficiency is preferred
1. Performs all clinical practitioner service activities in designated specialty areas including obtaining histories, performing physical exams, making assessments, orders tests to adequately assess, determine diagnoses, and plan of care. Provides optimal medical decision-making and patient care management, consistent with the PHHS mission, to ensure good health outcomes. Uses written medical protocols and consultants appropriately.
2. Records health history, findings, treatments, and recommendations accurately, clearly, and concisely. Manages time effectively to ensure optimal use of patient and provider resources. Consults appropriately with supervising physicians and refers patients as necessary to ensure optimal patient outcomes.
3. Includes patients and/or families in determining the plan of care, when appropriate. Educates patients and families to ensure self-management, follow-up, and compliance with established treatment. Arranges appropriate follow-up appointments. Develops appropriate patient education materials. May participate in community outreach activities to promote education and PHHS as a patient-centered/patient valued healthcare provider.
4. Trains, supervises, and evaluates APP students and contributes to the education of residents, interns, and other healthcare trainees. Serves as a clinical resource to other APPs and other allied health professionals. Serves as a role model for junior staff and APP students.
5. Stays abreast of the latest developments, advancements, and trends in a given practice field by attending seminars/workshops, reading professional journals, actively participating in professional organizations. Participates in PHHS education activities, attends, and provides in-services. Educates peers and staff both formally and informally. Seeks information to ensure the maintenance of a collaborative learning environment. Integrates new knowledge into their practice, takes initiative to learn new techniques and procedures, and shares skills and information with the healthcare team.
6. Collaborates and maintains positive working relationships between all PHHS staff. Provides patient-centered care with a focus on good customer service and patient satisfaction.
7. Maintains and implements knowledge of all applicable rules, regulations, policies, laws, and guidelines that impact their respective APP fields. Develops effective internal controls that promote adherence to applicable state/federal laws, and the program requirements of accreditation agencies and federal, state, and private health plans. Maintains current professional certifications and licensure as required by the organization and the APPs governing body. Seeks advice and guidance as necessary to ensure proper understanding. Timely completion of all assigned modules and yearly PHHS obligations as defined by the corporate compliance department.
8. Identifies work processes and flows for the assigned department. Suggests appropriate changes to improve work effectiveness, productivity, and efficiency that support the overall goals of PHHS or the area. Participates in QA/QI projects. May participate in clinical research or clinical drug trials.
9. Assists in developing, implementing, and monitoring annual goals and objectives for the department that support the mission and objectives of PHHS and the department. Attends regular staff meetings. Serves on multi-disciplinary committees as selected and assigned.
Parkland Health and Hospital System prohibits discrimination based on age (40 or over), race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, disability, national origin, marital status, political belief, or veteran status.
Nearest Major Market: Dallas
Nearest Secondary Market: Fort Worth
Job Segment: Nursing, Registered Nurse, Nurse Midwife, Medical, Labor and Delivery, Healthcare