Responsible for complex specimen processing and testing to assist physicians in the diagnosis of patients, and is responsible for special projects as assigned.
- Must have a Bachelor's degree in Medical Technology or a related science field, from a regionally accredited college or university.
- Five years of advanced to complex level applicable clinical laboratory experience.
Equivalent Education and/or Experience:
- May have an equivalent combination of education and/or experience in lieu of specific education and/or experience as stated above.
- Must be certified as a Medical Technologist (MT) by one of the following:
Medical Technologist (MT) - American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP)
Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS) - American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP)
Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS) - National Credentialing Agency for Laboratory Personnel (NCA)
Medical Technologist (MT) - American Medical Technologist (AMT)
Medical Technologist (MT) - Department of Health Services (HHS) formally (HEW)
Histocompatibility Technologist (CHT) -American Board of Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics (ABHI)
Histocompatibility Specialist (CHS) -American Board of Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics (ABHI)
Technologist, Blood Banking (BB) - American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP)
Technologist, Chemistry (C) - American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP)
Technologist, Cytogenetics (CG) - American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP)
Technologist, Hematology (H) - American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP)
Technologist, Microbiology (M) - American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP)
Technologist, Molecular Biology (MB) - American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP)
Skills or Special Abilities:
- Must be able to follow and develop all laboratory procedures.
- Must be able to demonstrate an expert knowledge of laboratory techniques and quality control measures.
- Must be able to satisfactorily operate, maintain, and troubleshoot a variety of laboratory equipment.
- Must be able to identify and appropriately address problems adversely affecting test results.
- Must be able to maintain accurate records, follow oral and written instructions, and communicate effectively with various hospital personnel and medical staff.
- Must be able to use laboratory and hospital computer systems appropriately to accomplish assigned work.
- Must be able to demonstrate initiative in seeking new responsibilities and challenges.
- Must be able to demonstrate consistent interpersonal skills.
1. Responsible for receiving specimens, assessing specimen integrity, verifying labeling and documentation, and data entry of orders to ensure that patients are appropriately billed.
2. Responsible for complex specimen processing, reagent preparation, test performance and for reporting test results within the assigned area.
3. Performs all required quality control tasks to ensure validity of test results, and maintains documentation regarding quality control, calibrations, maintenance and handling of proficiency testing samples.
4. Performs troubleshooting procedures, takes corrective actions to ensure validity of test results, and maintains documentation.
5. Instructs and provides consultation to new employees, residents, students, physicians and other personnel in proper laboratory techniques and procedures.
6. Identifies ways to improve work processes and improve customer (internal and external) satisfaction. Makes recommendations to supervisor, implements and monitors results as appropriate in support of the overall goals and mission of PHHS.
7. Serves as the lead technologist in designated area by being responsible for laboratory operations and personnel. Performs lead supervisory functions such as purchasing, scheduling, training new personnel, and performing competency documentation as needed.
8. Performs special projects, such as research and development, or product evaluation, under the supervision of a Laboratory Section Supervisor. Develops and revises procedures as required.
9. Stays abreast of the latest developments, advancements, and trends in the field of Pathology by attending seminars/workshops as required by PHHS and the Department of Pathology, and by reading professional journals and PHHS publications. Integrates knowledge gained into current work practices.
10. Demonstrates active involvement in Quality Management activities in order to help ensure quality laboratory operations for Pathology.
11. Maintains knowledge of applicable rules, regulations, policies, laws, and guidelines that impact the Pathology area. Follows internal controls that promote adherence to applicable state/federal laws, and the program requirements of accreditation agencies and federal, state, and private health plans. Seeks advice and guidance as necessary to ensure proper understanding, and reports any unethical or fraudulent behavior.
Parkland Health and Hospital System prohibits discrimination based on age (40 or over), race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, disability, national origin, marital status, political belief, or veteran status.
Nearest Major Market: Dallas
Nearest Secondary Market: Fort Worth
Job Segment: Medical Lab, Healthcare Administration, Medical Technologist, Patient Care, Data Entry, Healthcare, Administrative