The Unit Director is responsible for the fiscal, human resources, clinical, materials management, and communication operations of the nursing/outpatient units. The Unit Director's professional role description is based on ANA’s Nursing Administration’s Scope of Standards and UCLA’s Nursing Professional Practice Model.
Under the direction of the Director, Perioperative Nursing & Operations, SMUCLAOH, the Manager is responsible for the day-to-day management of all operational and nursing functions of the Santa Monica Hospital OR, and Sterile Processing. Main responsibilities include direct supervisor for the clinical staff, and non-clinical support staff consisting of surgical technicians, PSSTs, HA, AA, surgical processing technicians, MSO, and any other ancillary support staff. Assists in coordinating and directing perioperative patient care and monitoring environmental safety, fiscal management, development and implementation of staffing plans, leadership staff development and performance evaluations. The Manager is responsible for establishing and managing the collaborative relationship with Santa Monica Hospital surgeons, anesthesia, and all other nursing leadership.
As the Manager of the SMUCLA Sterile Processing department consistently applies standards, and achieves successful outcomes related to all types of sterilization practices for multiple departments within the hospital. Supports staff in performing duties to include: decontamination, prep and pack, processing of equipment and instrumentation, and distribution of instruments, supplies or equipment, as assigned within UCLA Health. The position also oversees high level disinfection (HLD), sterilization, storage and transport for other departments of the hospital, such as L&D; respiratory therapy, cardiac, and emergency room.
· Bachelor’s Degree in nursing or a Bachelor’s Degree and Master’s degree, one of which must be in Nursing. Official Transcripts and/or original diploma from a registered nursing program must be provided upon hire
· Current and Valid CA RN License
· 5 years in Perioperative Services and at least 2 in a management role.
· BLS from the American Heart Association
· CNOR certification is preferred
· Ability to respond as an administrative resource on a 24-hour basis
· Demonstrated knowledge of and ability to apply fiscal management principles
· Skill in demonstrating sincere support for the Medical Center, Department and Operative Services’ Staff
· Ability to develop, implement and evaluate human resource allocation and utilization plans
· Skill in executing and coordinating additions to the Surgery Schedule
· Ability to conduct a productive and constructive staff meeting
· Skill in implementing adult learning and motivational theories
· Skill in assessing and communicating staff development needs
· Reference knowledge of Joint Commission standards and state rules and regulations
UCLA is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.