The Ultrasound Technologist will produce diagnostic images and hemodynamic testing of the human anatomy utilizing both stationary and portable ultrasound equipment. They will perform ultrasound studies at Martin Luther King Jr. hospital, Palos Verdes Imaging Center and South Bay based imaging centers; Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Palos Verdes, and Torrance. The Main assignment will be based out of Martin Luther King, Jr. Hospital to meet contractual commitments to staff MLK Community Hospital.
The Ultrasound Technologist will record patient images via appropriate archival media, transfer images as needed. Review clinical information regarding patient along with images with the Radiologist. Achieve images onto appropriate media, follow UCLA Health Radiology Department’s verification process, and maintain accurate up-to-date records of procedures performed. Maintain departmental quality standards. Explain to fellows, residents, and new employee the methods of scanning and equipment operations when directed. Practice sterile techniques, maintain aseptic conditions and use universal precautions at all times.
Monitor patient’s comfort while in the ultrasound department. Review Radiology request for appropriateness. Coordinate exams with other services as needed. Coordinate transfer of patient to the observation area as needed. Communicate with Nursing units’ pertinent patient information. Perform various types of ultrasound exams according to departmental protocol.
Ensure Radiology requisitions are properly completed. Initiate proper requests for required maintenance or repair of equipment. Inspect all devices for damage and ensure they are operating within accepted parameters. Maintain accurate record of all supplies used and initiate orders to maintain supply par levels. Comply with Medical Center health and infection control policies. Comply with personnel standards in employee and technologist handbooks. Comply with sonographers Code of Practice.
· Graduate of CAAHAP school is preferred
· RDMS certification in one specialty, i.e. Abdomen or OB-GYN
· BLS/CPR Certification
· At least 1 year of working experience in an acute care hospital
Skills and Abilities:
· Ability to identify and recognize contraindications for exams. (Radiology Only)
· Ability to prioritize work, handling multiple tasks to completion, within the time allotted
· Ability to respond efficiently to expressed needs of referring services, physicians and patients
· Ability to show attention to detail, accuracy and thoroughness
· Excellent interpersonal skills effectively and diplomatically with patients, visitors, hospital staff, physicians, and others
· Excellent skill in performing under the stress of frequent interruptions and/or distractions
· Knowledge of medical terminology, with ability to distinguish between- types of procedures within the assigned department(s) and medical diagnoses
· Skill in employing independent decision making while performing various job functions
· Telephone manners and skills to handle heavy telephone lines with courtesy and tact
· Understand the requirements of the EMTALA (Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act)
UCLA is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.