Under the supervision of the Nurse Manager, and in coordination with the Clinical Director and the MSO, The Medical Assistant 3 will provide patient care support and patient care to Head & Neck Clinic locations including Westwood, Santa Monica, Thousand Oaks, and Santa Clarita. Primary locations will be Westwood and Santa Monica. Incumbent must be flexible and understand that back office responsibilities may change on a daily basis based on staffing needs of the clinic.
Your duties will include but not be limited to:
- Providing backup administrative support
- Obtain and document physician approval on all pharmacy and patient request for prescription and refills
- Assist with insurance authorizations and procedure coverage
- Complete patient disability forms and process requests for patient medical records
- Follow up on patient appointments, complete demographics, referral forms, on-line transactions including appointment and procedure scheduling using the CareConnect System
- Explain billing procedures and insurance requirements.
- Process patients and notify nursing staff of patient's arrival
- Prepare patients for procedures. Assist physicians in minor procedures
- Take vital signs and specimen collections
- Maintain inventory of medical supplies
- Maintain sterilization of medical equipment
1. Valid CPR certification. Strongly preferred Med Assistant Certification
2. Ability to perform basic clerical function and clinical duties
3. Ability to utilize computer system for appointment scheduling, clinical and patient data collection.
4. Ability to perform as back-up person for back office.
5. Ability to set priorities, organize work and demonstrate flexibility in work schedule as needed.
6. Ability to recognize and accept direction from the Nurse Manager.
7. Ability to work with frequent interruptions and distractions.
8. Ability to communicate effectively and maintain a collaborative working relationship with members of the health care team, patients and their family.
9. Ability to maintain efficient patient flow.
10. Demonstrate ability to work independently and skill in performing a variety of rapidly changing duties as assigned by the Nurse Manager.
11. Demonstrated knowledge of patient care concepts and practices.
12. Ability to perform basic patient care functions.
13. Ability to recognize emergent situations.
14. Ability to prioritize actual and potential problems.
15. Knowledge of general surgery procedures and medications, provide patients and their family teaching and instruction.
16. Demonstrated knowledge of aseptic sterile technique.
17. Maintain medical equipment, instruments and inventories of supplies.
18. Ability to assist physicians in a clinical setting and in minor procedures.
19. Maintain patient and family privacy, comfort, dignity and safety.
20. Ability to provide patient education.
21. Ability to have flexibility in work schedules and locations as needed.
22. Ability to work occasional overtime.
UCLA is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.