Media Relations Specialist
Marketing & PR
General Description: The media relations specialist is responsible for enterprising and executing upon proactive and reactive media relations tactics in support of the healthcare enterprise’s strategic initiatives. Media relations activities are conducted in support of positively building the OU Health brand and managing the reputation of the healthcare enterprise.
Responsibilities listed in this section are core to the position. Inability to perform these responsibilities with or without an accommodation may result in disqualification from the position.
- Executes upon coverage of day-to-day media relations for the healthcare enterprise with the general public and media to promote a positive public image.
- Provides written content during crisis communications events.
- Responds to national, regional, and local media reporter inquiries in a timely matter after thoroughly researching and developing response statements or interviewing subject matter experts.
- Prepares key executives and physician leaders for media interviews.
- Provides written communication in the style, tone, format, and voice of the audience. Ability to write within AP style guidelines and the OU Health Writing Style Guide.
- Works proactively with assigned internal customers as media relations news beats to enterprise media relations stories.
- Develops and executes press conferences, media briefings and other public-facing media events.
- Utilizes OU Health equipment to provide video and editing support for Marketing team, including, but not limited to: running livestream media events; video recording b-roll for media and other Marketing use; edits video for social media/philanthropic use; and other activities as assigned.
- Obtains earned media marketing through creative use of public relations and special events.
- Provides media valuation for earned media garnered for assigned beats.
- Represents the department as a key marketing management point of contact for all day-to-day aspects of the healthcare enterprise.
- Provides leadership on delegated Marketing initiatives as assigned. Recommends news releases and marketing opportunities as identified with clients.
- Participates in the 24/7 on-call communications crisis schedule rotation for the healthcare enterprise.
- Represents the department as a key marketing point of contact for all day-to-day aspects of the healthcare enterprise.
- Assists with delegated Marketing initiatives as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor's degree required. Degree in communications, English, journalism, or equivalent is preferred.
Experience: 1 or more years of experience in news/media relations, marketing and/or communications required.
OR equivalent combination of education and experience.
Licensure/Certifications/Registrations Required: This position requires a valid driver’s license, and that the employee is insurable by the OU Health automobile liability insurance carrier.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must possess the required level of skills and abilities to read, write, speak, and apply mathematical concepts and sound reasoning to successfully perform the essential duties and responsibilities of this job.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
- Proficient with the use of news grade video equipment and Microsoft Office tools, including video editing software.
Current OU Health Employees - Please click HERE to login.
OU Health is an equal opportunity employer. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including PTO, 401(k), medical and dental plans, and many more. We know that a total benefits and compensation package, designed to meet your specific needs both inside and outside of the work environment, create peace of mind for you and your family.