As a Lab Assistant at the David Geffen School of Medicine, you will support our NeuroInfectious Diseases Program with a clinical study for the National Neurological AIDS Bank. This will involve sourcing decedent subjects suspected of opioid overdose through the Los Angeles County Medical Examiner’s Office and other venues. You will explain the study to the decedent’s legal representatives/next-of-kin and answer questions in order to obtain necessary informed consent for the donation of the decedent’s tissues and fluids for the purpose of research. You will also obtain, examine and supervise the filing of a wide variety of critical medical and legal documentation. You will supervise and coordinate the collection and biosafe packing of the subject samples, and will arrange, coordinate and supervise the immediate transport of the samples to UCLA School of Medicine. The Lab Asst III will be responsible for ensuring that the decedent’s family and/or informants receive a monetary or other honorarium paid by the study, and will be responsible for distributing these funds, or other honoraria. In addition, you will prepare and maintain accurate and auditable records.
We’re seeking a skilled laboratory professional with a Bachelor’s degree in life sciences, lab sciences or psychology and:
· Three or more years of laboratory experience
· Ability to prioritize workload when faced with multiple tasks
· Outstanding verbal and composition skills
· Excellent typing abilities
· Computer proficiency with Microsoft Office and SQL server
· Ability to work well independently as well as collaboratively
· Fluency in English and Spanish
· Knowledge of BSL-II level biosafety and infection precautions
· Understanding of human sample collection/transport
· Strong research interviewing techniques
UCLA is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.