PRN Nurse Tech
Under general supervision of a registered nurse, performs routine tasks in patient care. This role is specifically for a nursing student to learn healthcare support skills and gain experience in a hospital setting.
Responsibilities listed in this section are core to the position. Inability to perform these responsibilities with or without an accommodation may result in disqualification from the position.
- Under direct supervision of the RN and in collaboration with the patient and family, systematically and continually monitors the patient’s health status and implements the plan of care.
- Carries out physician and nursing orders as directed by the RN.
- Takes/records blood pressures, temperatures, pulse and weighs patients.
- Performs blood glucose monitoring.
- Monitors intravenous infusions and transfusions as directed by RN.
- Sets up and discontinues telemetry monitor.
- Collects specimens as directed.
- Applies sterile dressings, removal of sutures, staples and/or drains. Performs all sterile procedures as assigned.
- Performs stoma irrigation and applies colostomy pouches.
- Performs oral and tracheostomy suctioning.
- Administers tube feedings to patients.
- Takes emergency actions as required.
- Performs all treatments and procedures as defined on initial skills checklist.
- Reports symptoms and significant changes in patient’s condition or behavior to RN.
- Assists with admission, discharge and transfer process.
- Transports patients to and from various treatment centers when necessary; assists transporters in moving patients in and out of stretchers and wheelchairs.
- Keeps the patient’s room in clean and orderly condition; makes beds, replaces soiled linen.
- Assists in restocking rooms with supplies and equipment as directed.
- Duties may be performed for one patient or more than one patient.
- When assigned to one patient, provides care, observes the patient and does not leave the patient alone.
Performs other duties as assigned
Education & Experience: Currently enrolled in an accredited registered nursing program or between terms/semesters; OR has completed a program of registered nursing and has applied to the licensure examination. The graduate may continue to be employed in a Nurse Technician role until licensed in any state, territory, or country, provided that the first licensure examination is taken within 90 days after graduation and the examination is passed within 6 months of graduation, on either the first or the second attempt.
License(s)/Certification(s)/Registration(s) Required: Current Basic Life Support issued by the American Heart Association required upon hire.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of basic nursing techniques and procedures.
- Ability to communicate effectively, and follow written and oral instructions; and to maintain effective working relations with others.
Current OU Health Employees - Please click HERE to login.
OU Health is an equal opportunity employer. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including PTO, 401(k), medical and dental plans, and many more. We know that a total benefits and compensation package, designed to meet your specific needs both inside and outside of the work environment, create peace of mind for you and your family.