Jennie Edmundson Memorial Hosp
933 E Pierce,Council Bluffs, IA
Full Time, Day Shift, 7a-530p/Rotational Call
- Purpose of Job
- Allied health professional working as a part of the team delivering surgical care by assisting physicians and maintaining a sterile field during surgical procedure through consistent application of aseptic techniques.
- Job Requirements
- Graduation from an approved Surgical Technology program required.
- Satisfactory completion of annual mandatory education requirement.
- Requires one or more years of current operating room experience or current Certified Surgical Technologist (CST) that meets Surgical Tech level I criteria.
- Current American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) Certification required.
- Certified Surgical Technologist (CST) Certification preferred.
- Ability to perform mathematical computations.
- Skilled in promoting positive relations when interacting with patients or other customers.
- Requires working with multiple activities and dividing time and attention to a variety of demands and working irregular hours.
- Ability to work in a team environment and solve problems in a diplomatic fashion.
- Oral and written communication with staff, patients, visitors, physicians and other departments.
- Physical Requirements
- Weight Demands
- Medium Work - Exerting up to 50 pounds of force.
- Not necessary for the position (0%):
- Occasionally Performed (1%-33%):
- Frequently Performed (34%-66%):
- Distinguish colors
- Repetitive Motions
- Constantly Performed (67%-100%):
- Not Related:
- Explosives (pressurized gas)
- Electrical Shock/Static
- Radiation Alpha, Beta and Gamma (particles such as X-ray, Cat Scan, Gamma Knife, etc)
- Radiation Non-Ionizing (Ultraviolet, visible light, infrared and microwaves that causes injuries to tissue or thermal or photochemical means)
- Rare (1-33%):
- Mechanical moving parts/vibrations
- Occasionally (34%-66%):
- Chemical agents (Toxic, Corrosive, Flammable, Latex)
- Biological agents (primary air born and blood born viruses) (Jobs with Patient contact) (BBF)
- Physical hazards (noise, temperature, lighting, wet floors, outdoors, sharps) (more than ordinary office environment)
- Essential Job Functions
- Essential Functions I
- Performs preoperative preparation.
- Reviews physician preference list before operative procedure and assembles supplies and equipment needed for procedure.
- Opens sterile supplies using sterile technique.
- Transfers medications and solutions to the sterile field according to policy.
- Communicates clearly and collaborates with other members of the perioperative team to prepare operative procedure.
- Functions as scrub person during operative procedure by preparing, monitoring, and maintaining a sterile field.
- Completing surgical scrub according to policy.
- Wears appropriate PPA and follows standard and policy for attire in the OR.
- Organizes and maintains sterile instruments and supplies in organized manner.
- Performs counts according to facility policy and procedure during procedure and hand-off situations.
- Assisting with draping sterile field according to standard.
- Watches progress of the operation and anticipates needs of team members.
- Disassembles instruments and equipment, transports to processing department.
- Assists with cleaning room and prepares for subsequent procedure.
- Applies base knowledge and principles during operative procedure (Intraoperative Surgical).
- Base knowledge of anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, microbiology and pharmacology for optimal surgical patient care.
- Principles of computer science, electricity and robotics as needed for surgical patient care.
- Principles of sterile technique during the surgical procedure.
- Follows policy and procedure for Intraoperative Surgical procedures.
- Participates in surgical time-out, fire risk assessment, and case summary for each operative procedure.
- Identifies labels and handles specimens including hand-off situations and disposition of specimen.
- Demonstrates collegiality and leadership qualities.
- Demonstrates awareness of, and participation in performance improvement activities.
- Reports potential performance improvement problems, to coordinators, core nurse and service leader, assists in problem solving.
- Maintains compliance with department call requirements, adjusts hours to meet patient services.
- Eligible to seat preceptor training and serve as a mentor.
- Collaborates with specialty coordinator and Staff Development Nurse on completion of orientation processes including orientation map, core competencies and assignments.
- Documents ongoing process of orienting staff and assists in mentoring.
- Participates in orientation of team members to new equipment and supplies.
- Achieves or maintains certification in profession, Certified Surgical Technologist.
- Provides appropriate care specific to the age of the customer/patient, to ensure understanding and comfort level of treatment as outlined in the Population Specific Criteria.
- Demonstrates ability to identify opportunities for and give individualized customer service/patient care according to customer/patient needs.
- Conducts need assessments.
- Conducts one on one and group training.
- Is knowledgeable of equipment used in surgical procedures, their, reference manuals, and resources for consultation.
- Performs clinical preceptor role for specialty service and follows core competency outline.
- Collaborates with appropriate Core Coordinator, and/or Resource Coordinator regarding assignments of students and orientees and documents progress or concerns.
- Documents on core competencies, records orientees/students' progress, and suggests improvements and additional learning needs.
- Collaborates with L&D and HROB Core Coordinator on completion of core competencies for specialty service. Provides care and is able to provide intervention for all patient populations.
Essential Functions II
- Participates in mandatory in-services and/or CE programs as mandated by policies and procedures/external agencies and as directed by management.
- Follows and understands the mission, vision, core values, Employee Standards of Compassionate Care/AIDET and company policies/procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
Nebraska Methodist Health System is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other classification protected by Federal, state or local law.