Sr. IT Systems Engineer - VMWare VDI
The Sr IT Systems Engineer is responsible for leading in the design, implementation, and support of virtualization systems and solutions for OU Health, remote clinics, and office buildings. The Sr IT Systems Engineer assists in the diagnosis and resolution of the most complex platform incidents and requests that require research and diagnosis, and recommends process changes that improve the implementation, maintenance, and support of systems security. The Sr IT Systems Engineer assists systems engineering, architecture, and leadership in the coordination, and communication for projects involving infrastructure solutions. This includes, but may not be limited to, the design, implementation, and deployment of various infrastructure technologies within the enterprise.
Responsibilities listed in this section are core to the position. Inability to perform these responsibilities with or without an accommodation may result in disqualification from the position.
- Architects and designs multi-site VMware Horizon VDI Technology with emphasis in compliance and resiliency/HA configuration.
- Installs, configures and maintains a scalable and high availability virtual environment utilizing VMware vSphere ESXi 6.5 hypervisor.
- Applies enterprise design principles and best practice for implementing and supporting VMware virtualization in an active- active in Cloud POD Architecture configuration both on-prem and in the cloud setting.
- Leads multiple complex projects and is responsible for defining scope of various projects, ensures that all deliverables are met, and adheres to and supports IT policies and procedures.
- Responsible achieving alignment and continuity between enterprise, business, and IT strategies, leveraging existing infrastructure investments and providing scalable options as business requirements necessitate a need for change. This requires the Sr IT Systems Engineer to keep abreast of the latest infrastructure and cloud management technologies, services, and components, actively facilitate communication between the business and IT, and provide coordination to a team of resources assigned to accomplish specific technical tasks.
- Maintains server images and configuring Windows servers as required.
- Develops plans for deploying and administering virtual machines, images and vApps.
- Configures and manages virtual guests using vCenter Orchestrator, vSphere Management Assistant (vMA) and vRealize.
- Manages and balances virtual machine resources across hosts in the clusters.
- Supports overall health and capacity management of VDI environment and infrastructure that support it.
- Establishes and maintains service levels, monitor vSphere implementations, and manage vCenter server alarms.
- Troubleshoots and resolves ESXi and VDI issues.
- Performs daily VMware and server administration, maintenance and upgrades including service packs, patches, hot fixes, and security configurations.
- Monitors performance and ensure system availability and reliability.
- Produces detailed documentation including data flow diagrams, logical diagrams, and physical diagrams as required.
- Creates dashboards, reports, alerts, and automated tasks.
- Assists in managing the Horizon View 7.x VDI environment and client access.
- Utilizes Site Recovery Manager (SRM) for disaster recovery failover.
- Assists with researching, evaluating, and recommending VMware related software, hardware and services.
- Assesses virtual machine VDI risks and perform contingency planning.
- Participates in after-hours on-call support rotation.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree required.
Experience: 2 or more years of experience in computer deployments required. 4 or more years of related experience preferred.
OR equivalent combination of education and experience.
VCP or VCAP in DTM and/or DW preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to solve complex technical problems and find root causes.
- Capacity to quickly adapt to a challenging pace of work and aptitude for learning new technologies.
- Can handle multiple projects simultaneously and on schedule while continuing to manage daily responsibilities.
- Can identify an issue and formulate project driven solutions for resolution.
- Able to communicate effectively both written and verbally in technical and non-technical language to an array of cross-functional teams.
- In-depth knowledge of VMware administration, VMware ESXi, VMware VDI, and VMWare Horizon View environment.
- In-depth knowledge of thin/zero client technologies such as IGEL, Wyse, HP, etc.
- Experience with P2V and V2P migrations, DR technologies and processes, virtualization storage solutions, and backup solutions such as NetBackup, CommVault, Veeam, etc.
- In-depth understanding of compute virtual networks, VLANS, PVLANS, Zones, DNS, DHCP
- Ability to perform capacity and resource planning, assess risks and recommend, design, and implement VMware server environments.
- Ability to work with IT technical resources and understand their requirements is necessary.
- Leadership skills to establish and maintain business relations with technical resources, customers, business partners, vendors, and other IT personnel.
- Proficient with the use of Microsoft Office tools
Current OU Health Employees - Please click HERE to login.
OU Health is an equal opportunity employer. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including PTO, 401(k), medical and dental plans, and many more. We know that a total benefits and compensation package, designed to meet your specific needs both inside and outside of the work environment, create peace of mind for you and your family.