Thank you for your interest in career opportunities with the University of Mississippi Medical Center. Please review the following instructions prior to submitting your job application:
- Provide all of your employment history, education, and licenses/certifications/registrations. You will be unable to modify your application after you have submitted it.
- You must meet all of the job requirements at the time of submitting the application.
- You can only apply one time to a job requisition.
- Once you start the application process you cannot save your work. Please ensure you have all required attachment(s) available to complete your application before you begin the process.
- Applications must be submitted prior to the close of the recruitment. Once recruitment has closed, applications will no longer be accepted.
After you apply, we will review your qualifications and contact you if your application is among the most highly qualified. Due to the large volume of applications, we are unable to individually respond to all applicants. You may check the status of your application via your Candidate Profile.
Important Applications Instructions:
Please complete this application in entirety by providing all of your work experience, education and certifications/
license. You will be unable to edit/add/change your application once it is submitted.
Job Requisition ID:
Academics (Non-Faculty Only)
SOM-Psychiatry-Center for Advancement of Youth
Main Campus Jackson
Professional Counselor (LPC) - SOM Psychiatry - FT
To provide patients and family members with psychosocial support and counseling needed to cope with issues which arise from various emotional or physical problems. To coordinate a variety of services including group therapy, crisis intervention, bereavement, client advocacy, referrals, prevention, education and implementation, and psychosocial assessments. To supervise undergraduate and graduate students and collaborate in the development and implementation of performance improvement initiatives.
Education & Experience
Master's degree in counseling or social work.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES OR REGISTRATION REQUIRED: Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) or Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) in the State of Mississippi
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; psychosocial methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders. Knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures for the diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of physical and mental dysfunctions and for counseling and guidance. Verbal and written communication skills. Interpersonal skills. Skill in the use of personal computers and related software applications. Ability to gather, record, and analyze data. Ability to assist individuals in recognizing and solving problems.
- Conducts and documents detailed psychosocial assessments/evaluations to interpret social, environmental, and medical needs of the patient/family. Meets the needs of transplant applicants and donors and/or level ii evaluations to determine mental illness/mental retardation discharge needs. Documents according to departmental guidelines and standards, prepares reports and maintains records as needed.
- Reassesses, monitors, and documents needs and interventions. Ensures that medical coverage is obtained by securing the appropriate documentation and materials. Evaluates the effectiveness of the plan of care and recommends alternative plans as needed.
- Provides or supervises plan of care interventions to include resource and referral assistance, crisis intervention, prevention, education, patient advocacy, bereavement, therapy, and counseling as appropriate. Collaborates with the healthcare team and involves the patient and/or family in the development and implementation of plans.
- Collaborates with other healthcare team members to facilitate the interdisciplinary care of patients and achievement of positive outcomes. Provides or supervises plan of care interventions to include resource and referral assistance. Recommends referrals and allocates community resources as appropriate.
- Participates in performance improvement initiatives to include data collection and analysis, development and participation in continuing education programs, development and editing of policies and procedures, and serving on committees; prepares and maintains applicable reports and records. Attends and participates in staff, committee department and other administrative meetings as directed.
- Maintains working knowledge of and liaison with community agencies; participate in area activities related to health and social services. Maintains a working knowledge of relevant medical/legal issues that impact on patient care (e.g. advance directives, child and elder abuse etc.) keep current with social work and health care developments and increase enhancement of job related knowledge..
- Act as a liaison to financial counseling to assist patients in the application process for state assistance, charity care or other programs.
- The duties listed are general in nature and are examples of the duties and responsibilities performed and are not meant to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Management retains the right to add or change duties at any time.
Physical and Environmental Demands
Requires occasional exposure to unpleasant or disagreeable physical environment such as high noise level and exposure to heat and cold, occasional handling or working with potentially dangerous equipment, occasional exposure to biohazardous conditions such as risk of radiation exposure, blood borne pathogens, fumes or airborne particles, and/or toxic or caustic chemicals which mandate attention to safety considerations, occasional working hours significantly beyond regularly scheduled hours, occasional travelling to offsite locations, occasional activities subject to significant volume changes of a seasonal/clinical nature, occasional work produced subject to precise measures of quantity and quality, frequent bending, occasional lifting and carrying up to 75 pounds, frequent climbing, frequent crouching/stooping, occasional driving, occasional kneeling, frequent pushing/pulling, frequent reaching, frequent sitting, frequent standing, frequent twisting, and frequent walking. (occasional-up to 20%, frequent-from 21% to 50%, constant-51% or more)
FLSA Designation/Job Exempt:
Job Posting Date:
Job Closing Date (open until filled if no date specified):