University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics Department of Nursing Services and Patient Care is seeking a Nursing Practice Leader (NPL) to function as a Nursing Informatics Specialist to support and lead nursing and ancillary documentation practices in the electronic health record including the evaluation and implementation of clinical technologies to provide safe and efficient patient care. The NPL utilizes informatics in the electronic health record as well as clinical policies/guidelines, compliance standards, practice scope awareness, and communication systems. The Informatics NPL provides ongoing education, training, and support to ensure optimal understanding and utilization of electronic health systems. Position requires strongly demonstrated leadership experience.
- This Nursing Practice Leader is an expert nurse clinician that has strong interest and foundation in utilization of an electronic health record in practice and a responsibility for ensuring an environment of safe, quality, and efficient care. The NPL demonstrates an advanced level of policy/guideline understanding related to clinical practice, sound clinical judgment and competency, technical competency with clinical information system applications, understanding of clinical workflows, professionalism as it relates to interpersonal and general communication skills, experience in supporting the policies/guidelines and workflows surrounding timely and compliant documentation, and takes responsibility for ongoing professional development, current practice trends and competency validation. This position will include occasional off shifts, on call shared within team.
University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics-recognized as one of the best hospitals in the United States-is Iowa's only comprehensive academic medical center and a regional referral center. Each day more than 12,000 employees, students, and volunteers work together to provide safe, quality health care and excellent service for our patients. Simply stated, our mission is: Changing Medicine. Changing Lives.®
Percent of Time: 100%
Schedule: 40 hours per week. Days, M-F 8A - 4:30P. On call 1 week per month.
Location: Main Campus
- Regular salaried position located in Iowa City, Iowa
- Fringe benefit package including paid vacation; sick leave; health, dental, life and disability insurance options; and generous employer contributions into retirement plans
- For more information about Why Iowa?, click here
- Master's or Doctorate Degree in Nursing; if Master's degree is in a related field, Baccalaureate in Nursing is required
- Current license to practice nursing in Iowa
- Minimum 3-5 years clinical experience in a health care environment preferably in a large medical center or teaching hospital.
- Proven project management skills: ability to coordinate activities and projects across departments, time management, organization of workload, analytical decision-making skills, attention to detail, and thoroughness.
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Suite of products (such as Outlook, Word, Excel, OneNote, PowerPoint).
- Experience working independently with a strong focus on customer service.
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal and interdisciplinary team leadership skills with a commitment to diversity in the work/academic environment.
- Professional certification in relevant leadership or clinical specialty; if not certified will obtain within the 1st year
- Clinical practice experience at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics.
- Experience using Epic in an ambulatory or hospital setting.
- 1-3 years of experience contributing to a clinical information system implementation cycle through areas such as design, workflow analysis, build, training, implementation, and support in an ambulatory or hospital setting.
- Certification in nursing specialty or role.
- Ability to assess learning needs and match to the most effective education methods.
- Experience authoring training materials and leading training sessions in a variety of formats.
- Member/involvement in professional organizations
Job openings are posted for a minimum of 14 calendar days. This job may be removed from posting and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended. For questions or additional information, please contact Rebecca Beggs at firstname.lastname@example.org
Successful candidates will be subject to a criminal background check. This position is not eligible for University sponsorship for employment authorization.
The University of Iowa is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment free from discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, religion, associational preference, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.