The Vice President of Quality and Safety for MaineHealth Medical Group will lead efforts to improve clinical quality, patient safety, and patient experience in the ambulatory care setting. Working closely with the medical group leadership team, the Vice President of Quality and Safety will coordinate and lead efforts to ensure that the quality of clinical care meets evidence-based professional guidelines and to improve systems of care delivery to minimize errors and eliminate preventable harm in the ambulatory care setting. Additional responsibilities will include managing internal and external performance reporting for the medical group, improving performance on value-based contracts, supporting organizational committees and workgroups, and serving on hospital committees as needed.
In this highly visible role, the Vice President of Quality and Safety will collaborate with leaders in the medical group and hospitals to ensure compliance with accreditation and regulatory requirements, respond to patient complaints and grievances, support quality-related strategic planning and goal setting, and help achieve annual goals and objectives for the medical group.
Required Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
- Education: Master’s degree in a health-related field required
- License/Certifications: Certification as a Certified Professional in Healthcare Quality (CPHQ) strongly preferred
- Experience: At least 10 years working in a health care delivery organization required, with a minimum of 5 years in a management role
- Experience working in a clinical care role or in a clinical care setting
- Experience working in a management role in the ambulatory care setting preferred
- Experience working in the areas of Performance Improvement, Patient Safety, or Quality Management required
- Experience leading and supporting committees in a health care delivery organization required
- Experience leading, managing, and working with teams across multiple locations preferred
- A proven track record motivating others to improve clinical quality and patient safety
- Experience working in a complex, highly matrixed organization preferred
- Strong critical thinking skills and attention to detail
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
The Portland Community
A historic seacoast city situated on the Atlantic Ocean on Maine’s south coast region, Portland boasts a strong economy, a multitude of museums, theaters, musical performances, cultural attractions, and nationally acclaimed restaurants. Located two hours north of Boston, Portland offers the best of urban sophistication combined with small town friendliness. Portland is consistently voted one of the top spots in America to raise a family and was named in the top 10 of best places to live and first in safest places to live by U.S. News & World Report in 2021.
Portland provides a wealth of four-season outdoor recreation opportunities. Some of New England’s finest ski resorts are within an easy two-hour drive, hundreds of miles of trails are available for hiking, running, or cross country skiing, and water sports abound in Casco Bay. For those that prefer spectator sports, Portland is home to minor league baseball and basketball teams.
The region is home to several colleges and universities, including the Maine College of Art, the University of New England, the University of Maine, and Bowdoin, Bates and Colby Colleges. The busiest airport in the state, the Portland International Jetport, is located only a few miles from downtown Portland, which allows for easy and convenient travel to and from Maine.