The Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) performs patient care duties that requires knowledge and skill acquired in an approved school of practical nursing under the direction and supervision of a Registered Nurse. Works toward the maintenance of health and prevention of illness, observes and cares for persons experiencing changes in their health processes, and evaluates health practices of patients. Performs patient care that requires knowledge and skill as taught or acquired in an approved school of practical nursing. Carries out their duties and responsibilities as authorized by the Kentucky Board of Nursing under the direction and supervision of a Registered Nurse. Assigned tasks will depend on the LPN scope of practice and skill competency.
• Complies with established policies and standards of practice.
• Delivers individualized nursing care that preserves and protects the patient’s autonomy, dignity, rights, values and beliefs.
• Encourages patients and families integration in all health care decisions.
• Seeks direction of one’s own behavior in situations/circumstances dictated by current policies and/or procedures.
• Promotes consensus building and applies techniques of conflict resolution and conduct improvement.
• Retains accountability for patient quality of care.
• Adheres to AIDET concepts and communicates compassionate care.
• Exhibits culture awareness and age specific care.
• Provides appropriate age and developmental care in a culturally and ethnically sensitive manner.
• Advocates for patients and peers.
• Delegates elements of care to other in accordance with policy.
• Advocates for resources that enhance care given to patients and those that enhance nursing practice.
• Assists patient and family in identifying and obtaining resources and services needed upon discharge.
• Respects privacy, confidentiality and diversity of patients and families.
• Acknowledges the boundaries of privacy, competent decision making and ethical behavior.
• Respects patient and family diverse background and their right to define confidentiality.
• Participates in professional development activities.
• Obtains required CE units within practice role.
• Obtains or maintains certifications as identified per unit.
• Recommends seeking advanced degree in certifications.
• Performs all unit routines and requirements as expected. Utilizes critical thinking, problem solving and evidence based practice in preforming specific unit routine requirements.
• Performs all nursing skills and procedures according as defined and authorized by KBN and under the direction of a Registered Nurse. Uses correct knowledge in the performance that includes psychomotor, communication and interpersonal skills.
• Complies with safety regulations and use of equipment for patient care. Practices in a safe manner by creating a healthy environment and ensuring proper operation of equipment.
• Demonstrates proficient use of informatics and technology utilized in nursing service. Utilizes the technology and equipment to document accurate information to formulate a plan of care and to provide quality patient care under the supervision of a Registered Nurse.
• Delegates tasks as limited by KBN. Understands scope of practice for delegating tasks.
Graduate from an approved practical nursing program
Previous nursing experience in an acute care setting preferred
Must hold a current license from the Kentucky Board of Nursing (KBN)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and use hands to finger, handle or feel. The employee is required to communicate with staff, patients and visitors. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision for reading and computer work. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 100 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds. The employee is regularly required to stand, walk and be on feet for long periods of time. Must be able to tolerate PPE for long periods of time.
The work environment described here is representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee works in an area with good lighting and climate control. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Employment Type (feed only)