Jennie Edmundson Memorial Hosp
933 E Pierce,Council Bluffs, IA
Full Time, Night Shift, 7p-7a,
- Purpose of Job
- Provide continuous monitoring and analysis of patient cardiac rhythms for the purpose of reporting to medical staff. Perform EKGs and apply event/holter monitors as necessary.
- Job Requirements
- High School Diploma or General Educational Development (G.E.D.) required.
- Completion of science/medical related classes preferred.
- Basic understanding of cardiac rhythms preferred but not required.
- Completion of cardiac rhythm interpretation class and station competency test upon hire or within 90 days of hire required.
- Prior science/medical related experience preferred but not required.
- Current American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) certification required.
- Ability to read, write, and perform mathematical calculations.
- Ability to perform physical measurements.
- Must have good communication and documentation skills.
- Ability to orient/train others in work procedures and processes.
- Knowledge of telemetry applications and equipment.
- Physical Requirements
- Weight Demands
- Medium Work - Exerting up to 50 pounds of force.
- Occasionally Performed (1%-33%):
- Frequently Performed (34%-66%):
- Distinguish colors
- Repetitive Motions
- Constantly Performed (67%-100%):
- Not Related:
- Explosives (pressurized gas)
- Electrical Shock/Static
- Radiation Alpha, Beta and Gamma (particles such as X-ray, Cat Scan, Gamma Knife, etc)
- Radiation Non-Ionizing (Ultraviolet, visible light, infrared and microwaves that causes injuries to tissue or thermal or photochemical means)
- Rare (1-33%):
- Chemical agents (Toxic, Corrosive, Flammable, Latex)
- Mechanical moving parts/vibrations
- Occasionally (34%-66%):
- Biological agents (primary air born and blood born viruses) (Jobs with Patient contact) (BBF)
- Physical hazards (noise, temperature, lighting, wet floors, outdoors, sharps) (more than ordinary office environment)
- Essential Job Functions
- Essential Functions I
- Cardiac Rhythms and Vital Signs
- Demonstrates knowledge of cardiac rhythms outlines in departmental competency requirements.
- Demonstrates knowledge of vital signs outlined in departmental competency requirements.
- Displays the ability to prioritize cardiac arrhythmias and vital signs based on severity.
- Policy and Procedure
- Demonstrates knowledge of department policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates the ability to follow department policies and procedures.
- Patient Safety
- Monitors patients continuously and report changes as appropriate.
- Ensures patient rhythms are easily visible on the work station.
- Verifies ST setup is accurate and ST alarms are appropriate.
- Refrains from using electronic devices such as cell phones, tablets, etc..
- Accurately enters patient information.
- Frequently checks patient status when telemetry leads are off or having procedure.
- Alarm Management
- Ensures station alarm settings are appropriate for each patient.
- Obtains guidelines from nursing before making changes to alarm settings.
- Validates all alarms.
- Cleans out alarm history, keeping all relevant alarms.
- Documents all relevant communication on the communication log.
- Keeps patient/nurse assignment sheet up to date and easily accessible at work station.
- Documents patient guidelines from nursing where they can be easily seen by coworkers.
- Labels rhythm strips appropriately.
- Transfers all relevant rhythm strips into the patient chart.
- Documents changes in rhythm status on patient log.
- Notifies RN about rhythm changes and events in accordance with policy.
- Notifies appropriate staff about leads off, loss of signal, or low/dead batteries.
- Communicates to coworkers all relevant information in report during station hand-off.
- Sends all-page email when low on Telemetry boxes as per policy.
- Keeps coworkers informed about important patient issues on their station.
- Maintains Work Environment
- Keeps work area clean and organized.
- Cleans equipment when necessary.
- Performs equipment inventory daily.
- Reports equipment issues to Biomed and supervisor.
- Performs self-scheduling in accordance with scheduling policy.
- Willingness to provide coverage and be flexible when necessary.
- Other Duties as Assigned
- Performs EKGs when necessary.
- Applies Event Monitors to patients as needed.
Essential Functions II
- Participates in mandatory in-services and/or CE programs as mandated by policies and procedures/external agencies and as directed by management.
- Follows and understands the mission, vision, core values, Employee Standards of Compassionate Care/AIDET and company policies/procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
Nebraska Methodist Health System is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other classification protected by Federal, state or local law.