Jennie Edmundson Memorial Hosp
933 E Pierce,Council Bluffs, IA
Full Time, Night Shift, 7p-7a
- Purpose of Job
- Allied health professional working as a part of the interdisciplinary care team in the delivery of the patient's plan of care, including assisting with OB procedures, providing hands on patient care and reporting pertinent information to the appropriate team members. Perform a variety of direct and indirect patient care duties for patients across the age continuum. Assist providers with vaginal deliveries, assisting physicians and maintaining a sterile field during surgical procedures such as cesarean sections and circumcisions, through consistent application of aseptic techniques.
- Job Requirements
- Graduation from an accredited Surgical Technology program required.
- Satisfactory completion of annual mandatory education requirement.
- No previous experience required.
- One year of operating room experience preferred.
- Current American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) Certification required.
- Certified Surgical Technologist (CST) Certification preferred.
- Ability to perform mathematical computations.
- Physical Requirements
- Weight Demands
- Medium Work - Exerting up to 50 pounds of force.
- Not necessary for the position (0%):
- Occasionally Performed (1%-33%):
- Frequently Performed (34%-66%):
- Distinguish colors
- Repetitive Motions
- Constantly Performed (67%-100%):
- Not Related:
- Explosives (pressurized gas)
- Electrical Shock/Static
- Radiation Alpha, Beta and Gamma (particles such as X-ray, Cat Scan, Gamma Knife, etc)
- Radiation Non-Ionizing (Ultraviolet, visible light, infrared and microwaves that causes injuries to tissue or thermal or photochemical means)
- Rare (1-33%):
- Mechanical moving parts/vibrations
- Occasionally (34%-66%):
- Chemical agents (Toxic, Corrosive, Flammable, Latex)
- Biological agents (primary air born and blood born viruses) (Jobs with Patient contact) (BBF)
- Physical hazards (noise, temperature, lighting, wet floors, outdoors, sharps) (more than ordinary office environment)
- Essential Job Functions
- Essential Functions I
- Assist with the maintenance and stocking of supplies, checking for outdated supplies.
- Assist in stocking the nursery supplies.
- Assist in monitoring refrigerator temperatures and warming device temperatures.
- Exhibits excellent interpersonal relations with patients, co-workers, physicians, and guests to ensure effective communications.
- Responds to patient needs promptly and courteously.
- Communicates feedback from patients and visitors regarding their hospital experience to the appropriate staff.
- Maintains a positive attitude while responding to requests in a timely and accurate manner.
- Communicates with other members of the health care team (food service, secretaries, housekeeping, etc.) as indicated.
- Actively participates in report process.
- Consistently recognizes and utilizes measures to provide for safe, efficient, patient care and work environment.
- Answers Call Lights in a timely manner and response to the patient request and/or relays request to appropriate resource when necessary.
- Performs other duties as delegated/under the direction of the professional staff.
- Assures coverage of all duties when self or other staff are off the nursing unit.
- Assists other team members when own work is complete.
- Appropriately reports incidents.
- Utilizes Standard Precautions and Transmission-based Precautions infection control techniques correctly and consistently.
- Adheres to policies and procedures.
- Maintains patient nutritional status by completing all intake/output activities in a timely and accurate manner to promote customer satisfaction.
- Feeds patients as necessary.
- Records liquid and solid intake.
- Records intake accurately for calculation of calorie count.
- Records output.
- Documents all data collected, in Cerner and/or on worksheets, accurately, completely, and in a timely manner to provide an accurate record of patient activities and response to activities.
- Documentation is completed in an ongoing basis prior to end of shift.
- Documentation reflects care delivered.
- Provides housekeeping activities to contribute to a safe, efficient, effective and sanitary patient care environment.
- Keep rooms neat and tidy, free of clutter.
- Removes trash and soiled linen from room each shift and as needed.
- Maintains patient environment, such as spills and room temperature, or actively utilizes Integrated Services team to do so properly.
- Distributes linens to servidors per par levels.
- Straightens and restocks patient care areas per par levels.
- Attends to patient amenities; e.g., newspapers, mail.
- Monitors Nourishment Center supplies and maintains a sanitary environment.
- Assist in setting up sterile procedures outside of the operating room.
- Assist in setting up vaginal delivery table.
- Assist in setting up for cesarean sections.
- Performs preoperative preparation.
- Reviews physician preference list before operative procedure and assembles supplies and equipment needed for procedure.
- Opens sterile supplies using sterile technique.
- Transfers medications and solutions to the sterile field according to policy.
- Communicates clearly and collaborates with other members of the perioperative team to prepare operative procedure.
- Demonstrates advanced knowledge and proficient practice in the first scrub role in complex cases.
- Functions as scrub person during operative procedure by preparing, monitoring, and maintaining a sterile field.
- Completing surgical scrub according to policy.
- Performs scrub duties in an accurate, concise and timely manner.
- Wears appropriate personal protective apparel (PPA) and follows standard and policy for attire in the operating room.
- Organizes and maintains sterile instruments and supplies in organized manner.
- Performs counts according to facility policy and procedure during procedure and hand-off situations.
- Assisting with draping sterile field according to standard.
- Watches progress of the operation and anticipates needs of team members.
- Disassembles instruments and equipment, transports to processing department.
- Assists with cleaning room and prepares for subsequent procedure.
- Applies base knowledge and principles during operative procedure (Intraoperative Surgical).
- Base knowledge of anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, microbiology and pharmacology for optimal surgical patient care.
- Principles of computer science, electricity and robotics as needed for surgical patient care.
- Principles of sterile technique during the surgical procedure.
- Follows policy and procedure for Intraoperative Surgical procedures.
- Participates in surgical time-out, fire risk assessment, and case summary for each operative procedure.
- Identifies labels and handles specimens including hand-off situations and disposition of specimen.
- Demonstrates collegiality and leadership qualities.
- Demonstrates awareness of, and participation in performance improvement activities.
- Reports potential performance improvement problems, to coordinators, core nurse and service leader, assists in problem solving.
- Maintains compliance with department call requirements, adjusts hours to meet patient services.
- Provides appropriate care specific to the age of the customer/patient, to ensure understanding and comfort level of treatment as outlined in the Population Specific Criteria.
- Demonstrates ability to identify opportunities for and give individualized customer service/patient care according to customer/patient needs.
- Applies knowledge related to emergency situations and surgical procedures in the operating room.
Essential Functions II
- Participates in mandatory in-services and/or CE programs as mandated by policies and procedures/external agencies and as directed by management.
- Follows and understands the mission, vision, core values, Employee Standards of Compassionate Care/AIDET and company policies/procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
Nebraska Methodist Health System is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other classification protected by Federal, state or local law.