Reports to Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner Program Supervisor and provides timely specialized and comprehensive victim-centered medical forensic examination to sexual abuse/sexual assault patient in accordance to evidence-based standard of care. Serves under the direction of the Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner Supervisor.
- Graduate of a Registered Nursing program, Bachelor's in Nursing Degree (BSN) preferred.
- Greater than 2 years of experience.
- Must have current, valid RN license or temporary RN license from the Texas Board of Nursing; or, valid Compact RN license.
- Must have current healthcare provider CPR course completion card from one of the following: - American Heart Association - American Red Cross - Military Training Network
Skills or Special Abilities:
- Provides a complete medical forensic examination to sexual abuse/assault patients that present to the emergency department within the guidelines as set by the Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner Program policy and procedures.
- Provide written documentation and photographic documentation of injuries to physically and sexually abused/assault adolescents and adults.
- Provide a non-judgmental examination with appropriate evidence collection to suspects of crimes.
- Provides continuous assessment, consults with other team members as required and provides nursing care which demonstrates patient-centered and patient-valued care
- Exercises independent judgment in providing specialized nursing care
- Must be able to demonstrate effective interpersonal skills and possess good oral and written communication skills.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with patients, families, and hospital staff in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Must be able to demonstrate the ability to provide direction to non-nursing staff, and serve as preceptor.
- Must be able to prepare and conduct in-service educational programs. - Must be able to demonstrate patient-centered and patient-valued behaviors.
- Demonstrate acceptable knowledge of nursing standards of care for specialty care area.
1. Serves as patient advocate by focusing on patient needs, patient rights, confidentiality, and religious and cultural preferences. Maintains positive working relationships with all Parkland internal and external customers, employees, etc.
2. Serves as a nursing resource for registered nurses, attending physicians and residents providing medical care for sexual abuse/sexual assault patients.
3. Provides patient care educational information regarding forensic evidence collection, medication treatment, and discharge planning to sexual abuse/sexual assault patients and their family members.
4. Participates in information exchanges with nursing, Parkland's VIP/Rape Crisis Center, law enforcement agencies, District Attorney's Office, Attorney General's Office. Testifies in court as an expert or fact witness.
5. Practices as a sexual assault nurse examiner in accordance to established standards of care as established by the International Association of Forensic Nurses, and Texas Office of the Attorney General; guidelines set by the state of Texas Nurse Practice Act, Parkland's policies/procedures, and forensic nursing scope and standards of practice. 6. Completes sexual assault examination documentation as provided by the local criminal lab Maintains accurate and timely entries and notations in separate patient care records and medical forensic records. Ensures all documents meet the standards, goals, and objectives of the Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner program.
7. Responsible for assisting in mentoring and training new SANEs in performing sexual assault forensic examinations.
8. Participates in SANE Peer Review and quality assurance /performance improvement projects in accordance with the departmental and institutional QAPI plans.
9. Stays abreast of latest developments, advancements in forensic nursing practice by attending seminars or workshops, reading professional journals and actively participating in professional organizations. Maintains State of Texas licensure as a registered nurse and required Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner certifications.
10. Identifies ways to improve work processes and improve customer satisfaction. Makes recommendations to supervisor, implements, and monitors results as appropriate in support of the overall goals of the department and Parkland.
11. Maintains knowledge of applicable rules, regulations, policies, laws and guidelines that impact the department. Develops effective internal controls designed to promote adherence with applicable laws, accreditation agency requirements, and federal, state, and private health plans. Seeks advice and guidance as needed to ensure proper understanding.
Parkland Health and Hospital System prohibits discrimination based on age (40 or over), race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, disability, national origin, marital status, political belief, or veteran status.
Nearest Major Market: Dallas
Nearest Secondary Market: Fort Worth
Job Segment: Nursing, Medical, Patient Care, Registered Nurse, Healthcare Administration, Healthcare