Performs clerical duties of intermediate difficulty to coordinate appointments within an electronic health record system. This role maintains abandon call rate and queue time targets for the department call center. Upholds departmental and hospital procedures, policies and practices to provide the best service possible
- High School diploma or GED.
- Must have three (3) years of clerical experience in an office or customer service environment, preferably in a job-related field.
Equivalent Education and/or Experience
- May have an equivalent combination of education and/or experience to substitute for the experience requirements.
Required Tests for Placement
- Must be able to successfully pass a General Computer Skills test and Alpha/Numeric Filing test with a minimum score of 80%.
Skills or Special Abilities
- Must be able to utilize required software for assigned department.
- Must be detailed oriented, demonstrate a positive demeanor, good verbal and written communication, and a professional appearance and approach.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with patients, families and hospital staff demonstrating tact and diplomacy skills.
- Must be able to solve problems within the guidelines of established policies and procedures.
- Must be able to demonstrate patient centered/patient valued behaviors.
- Must be self-directed and capable of priority setting and problem solving.
- Must be able to use sound judgment in making complex decisions.
- Bilingual skills preferred.
1. Serves as a liaison between patients/families, physicians and nurses among the interdisciplinary teams and departments to coordinate proper timing and adequate use of departmental appointments within the electronic medical record.
2. Answers telephones, routes calls and provides routine information to callers; while maintaining abandon call rates and queue time targets for the department call center. Conducts reminder calls prior to the appointment; when applicable to the assigned department. 3. Receives and reviews all referrals/orders for the department for appropriateness based on established guidelines, conferring with appropriate clinical staff for circumstances outside of the given scheduling pathways for the assigned department. Maintains and prints departmental reports on a regular basis.
4. Where applicable, gathers and corrects patient demographic and/or insurance benefits to ensure that patient information is complete and accurate. Provides general direction to patient¿s regarding Parkland registration process, financial assistance programs, etc. based on assigned department. Refers patients for financial counseling to ensure assignment of the proper financial classification for reimbursement enhancement, as needed.
5. Maintains a positive working relationship and effective communication with patients, providers, management, and other employees to promote teamwork and cooperation. This could include completing other duties as assigned.
1. Identifies ways to improve work processes and improve customer satisfaction. Makes recommendations to supervisor, implements, and monitors results as appropriate in support of the overall goals of the department and Parkland.
2. Stays abreast of the latest developments, advancements, and trends in the field by attending seminars/workshops, reading professional journals, actively participating in professional organizations, and/or maintaining certification or licensure. Integrates knowledge gained into current work practices.
3. Maintains knowledge of applicable rules, regulations, policies, laws and guidelines that impact the area. Develops effective internal controls designed to promote adherence with applicable laws, accreditation agency requirements, and federal, state, and private health plans. Seeks advice and guidance as needed to ensure proper understanding.
Parkland Health and Hospital System prohibits discrimination based on age (40 or over), race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, disability, national origin, marital status, political belief, or veteran status.
Nearest Major Market: Dallas
Nearest Secondary Market: Fort Worth
Job Segment: Medical, Clerical, Radiology, Patient Care, Healthcare Administration, Healthcare, Administrative