Responsible for providing health care for patients in designated primary or specialty area, including patient diagnoses, treatment, education and referrals. Serves as a resource and role model for clinical practice, training, evaluation and direct management of practitioners and students in all areas encompassed by the service line to ensure optimal patient care quality. Assist leadership in assessing, planning, organizing, and implementing designated advanced practice provider activities.
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university and successful completion of an accredited Physician Assistant Program recognized by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or its predecessors.
Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN):
- Master's Degree in Nursing accredited through the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) or the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc. (ACEN).
- Three (3) plus years of clinical experience as an Advanced Practice Provider (APP) performing the same or similar job duties.
- Five (5) plus years of clinical experience as an Advanced Practice Provider (APP) in any field.
Equivalent Education and/or Experience:
Current employees hired at Parkland before 3/1/2014, may have an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must have current healthcare provider CPR course completion card from one of the following:
- American Heart Association
- American Red Cross
- Military Training Network.
- Must meet and maintain licensing and registration requirements as delineated by the Medical Staff Bylaws, Medical Staff Rules and Regulations, and Credentialing Policies/Procedures.
- Current certification in Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) and must be attained within 90 days of being hired and maintained throughout employment.
- Current certification in Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS) must be attained within 90 days of being hired and maintained throughout employment.
- Physician Assistant:
- Current, valid Physician Assistant licensure from the Texas Board of Physician Assistants.
- Current certification as a Physician Assistant by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants.
- Advanced Practice Registered Nurse:
- Current RN licensure from the Texas Board of Nursing; or, valid Compact RN license.
- Current licensure from the Texas Board of Nursing as an Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) with authorization to practice as an Adult-Gerontology Acute Care or an Acute Care Nurse Practitioner.
- Must have active certification as Nurse Practitioner by one of the following:
- Adult-Gerontology-Acute Care Nurse Practitioner by ANCC or American Association of Critical-Care Nurses Certification Corporation (AACNCC)
- Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (ACNP) by ANCC or AACNCC.
Skills or Special Abilities:
- Provides care to assigned patient population in accordance with the current State of Texas Nursing Practice Act or Texas Medical Board Rules, as applicable to licensure, established protocols, multidisciplinary plan of care, and clinical area specific standards.
- Must demonstrate leadership ability through both superior clinical skills and as a practice development resource.
- Must have effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Must have effective leadership skills to include motivation, recruitment, retention, and change management.
- Must demonstrate knowledge of Parkland policies, structure, procedures, and mission.
- Must demonstrate patient centered behaviors.
1. Performs all clinical practitioner service activities in designated specialty area including obtains histories, performs physical exams, makes assessments, orders tests to adequately assess, determine diagnoses, and plan of care. Provides optimal medical decision making and patient care management, consistent with the PHHS mission, to ensure good health outcomes. Uses written medical protocols and consultants appropriately.
2. Records health history, findings, treatments, and recommendations accurately, clearly, and concisely. Manages time effectively to ensure optimal use of patient and provider resources. Consults appropriately with supervising physicians and refers patients as necessary to ensure optimal patient outcomes.
3. Includes patients and/or families in determining the plan of care, when appropriate. Educates patients and families to ensure self-management, follow-up, and compliance with established treatment. Arranges appropriate follow up appointments. Develops appropriate patient education materials. May participate in community outreach activities to promote education and PHHS as a patient centered/patient valued healthcare provider.
4. Trains, supervises, and evaluates APP students and contributes to the education of residents, interns, and other healthcare trainees. Serves as a clinical resource to other APPs and other allied health professionals. Serves as a role model for junior staff and APP students.
5. Stays abreast of the latest developments, advancements and trends in given practice field by attending seminars/workshops, reading professional journals, actively participating in professional organizations. Participates in PHHS education activities, attends, and provides in-services. Educates peers and staff both formally and informally. Seeks information to ensure maintenance of a collaborative learning environment. Integrates new knowledge into their practice, takes initiative to learn new techniques and procedures and shares skills and information with the healthcare team.
6. Collaborates and maintains positive working relationships between all PHHS staff. Provides patient centered care with a focus on good customer service and patient satisfaction.
7. Maintains and implements knowledge of all applicable rules, regulations, policies, laws, and guidelines that impact their respective APP fields. Develops effective internal controls that promote adherence to applicable state/federal laws, and the program requirements of accreditation agencies and federal, state, and private health plans. Maintains current professional certifications and licensure as required by the organization and the APP's governing body. Seeks advice and guidance as necessary to ensure proper understanding. Timely completion of all assigned modules and yearly PHHS obligations as defined by the corporate compliance department.
8. Identifies work processes and flows for the assigned department. Suggests appropriate changes to improve work effectiveness, productivity and efficiency that support the overall goals of PHHS or the area. Participates in QA/QI projects. May participate in clinical research or clinical drug trials.
9. Assists in developing, implementing, and monitoring annual goals and objectives for the department that support the mission and objectives of PHHS and the department. Attends regular staff meetings. Serves on multi-disciplinary and committees as selected and assigned.
Parkland Health and Hospital System prohibits discrimination based on age (40 or over), race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, disability, national origin, marital status, political belief, or veteran status.
Nearest Major Market: Dallas
Nearest Secondary Market: Fort Worth
Job Segment: Orthopedic, Medical, Patient Care, Registered Nurse, Nursing, Healthcare