High School graduate or its equivalent with a two year medical record course (RHIT) and/or degree in Medical Records or Health Information systems (RHIA).
Is accredited and/or registered by AHIMA and maintains continued education hours with AHIMA.
Must maintain a valid North Dakota driver’s license and maintain insurability with GSHA’s insurance carrier.
Hardwiring Excellence – responsible to know and adhere to evidence based leadership to achieve excellence.
Professional attitude, leadership role and team member abilities. Maintains a positive professional role throughout the facility and community.
Familiarizes self with and adheres to all facility and department safety policies and procedures.
Promotes a culture of safety.
· Safeguarding the privacy and security of protected health information (PHI) in any form including electronic, written or oral.
· Communicates and enforces administrative, personnel and department policies.
· Responsible for completion and review of the departmental budget.
· Conducts annual and terminal employee evaluations.
· Responsible for seeing that adequate supplies, equipment, and manpower are maintained.
· Organizes departmental layout and staff, develops departmental objectives and policies.
· Conducts interdepartmental meetings and records minutes.
· Responsible for completion of internal Quality Improvement studies in the department.
· Responsible for completion of medical record review studies as required by the State (physician review) as well as other preliminary reviews of required physician studies.
· Assists with the coding function either by being a consultant when there are questions or by helping with the actual coding assignment. Completes routine chart audits on outside 3rd party vendors contracted to provide coding for HAMC.
· Produces timely delinquent patient chart reports to providers to ensure completion is achieved in the allotted time for billing.
· Responsible for educating and assisting providers and staff on EMR functions and updates.
· Oversees all ongoing activities related to the development, implementation, maintenance of, and adherence to the organization’s policies and procedures covering the privacy of, and access to, patient health information in compliance with federal and state laws and the healthcare organization’s information privacy practices.
· Provides development guidance and assists in the identification, implementation, and maintenance of organization privacy policies and procedures in coordination with management, administration, and the HIPAA Task Force.
· Serves in a leadership role for the HIPAA Task Force’s activities.
· Maintains current knowledge of applicable federal and state privacy laws to ensure organizational adaptation and compliance.
· Observe safety, infection control and confidentiality, etc. policies.
· Documents and reports problems (maintenance, safety, infections) on appropriate forms and to appropriate authority.
· Works with all department heads to establish effective and educational opportunities in medical records/health information.
· Attends and participates in meetings as assigned, departmental management and any other pertinent to the position.
· Participate in general orientation and accepts responsibility for departmental orientation.
· Attends annual education on safety, infection control and back safety.
· Attends appropriate continuing education to maintain licensure.
· All other duties as assigned.