The duties of a Laboratory Aide/Lab Assistant include specimen collection, handling and processing, equipment maintenance, reporting and maintaining laboratory records, adhering to clinical laboratory procedures, client services and quality control policies, clinical operations and proper documentation. This position is limited to the amount of experience and training received within the laboratory, duties will increase accordingly under the direction of laboratory director.
Perform various routine laboratory functions in a precise and accurate fashion to assist the laboratory department and to facilitate laboratory testing at North ED facility.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Sorting, and receiving specimens in the department.
2. Performs routine instrument maintenance on some equipment.
3. Performs laboratory tasks of centrifuging specimens, printing extra labels, recording data (temperature charts) specimen storage and retrieval.
4. Preparing reagents and or media in the department.
5. Preparing specimens at workstations for testing. (including building worklists, aliquoting specimens into sample cups, checking specimens for clots and fibrin, inoculation)
6. Performs QA/QC duties as assigned.
7. Loads, runs and unloads some automated testing procedures
8. Performs point of care testing
9. Performs blood culture collections.
10. Resolves pending lists.
11. Finds missing samples.
12. Decontaminates work areas.
13.Completes training and competency checklists as appropriate .
14. Maintains files for department records.
15. Assists North ED clinical team as needed.
16. Follows all PPE requirements and all safety regulations.
17. Uses the laboratory computer system as well as operates PCs.
18. Disposes of biohazardous material approproiately.
19. Provides input regarding training and checklists.
20. Assists with the department quality improvement program.
21. Special projects and other duties as assigned by supervisor. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities, but rather a general description of the work performed by this position.
High school diploma or equivalent.
One year in a technical or laboratory department