The Medical Assistant - Certified performs clinical and clerical duties under the supervision and guidance of the Clinic Manager/Licensed Medical Professional. Performs delegated administrative and nursing tasks necessary for the care of the patient.
• Performs all point of care related skills to include phlebotomy, prepares specimens for transport to reference labs, and shows competency in performance of in-clinic lab testing.
• Performs clinical procedures as permitted by certification and as assigned by Clinic Manager/Licensed Medical Professional.
• Prepares and administers medications according to established policy and procedure and as permitted by certification.
• Transcribes Licensed Medical Professional orders accurately and completely.
• Addresses learning needs of the patient/family; plans, provides, evaluates & documents patient/family education.
• Provides for the safety of patients by following established policies, standing orders, protocols and process workflows.
• Collects and reports data concerning patient care needs according to policy and procedures.
• Utilizes St. Claire resources and equipment for patient care efficiently.
• Makes referral and/or consult appointments and schedules patients for admission and/or outpatient diagnostic testing obtaining preauthorization’s and/or precertification’s for insurance purposes as appropriate.
• Assures that clinical areas are in order for medical staff to provide patient care.
• Responsible for the security of the clinical area in order to prevent unauthorized entry in accordance with established policies and procedures.
• Maintains and communicates accurate provider schedules and patient appointments according to established policy.
• Manages medical records according to established policies and procedures.
• Processes incoming and outgoing mail.
• Participates in the clinic patient registration and check-out process.
• Uses proper telephone technique including completing telephone message forms and appropriate documentation.
• Responds to medication refills requests and EMR workload messages timely to include medication pre-authorization process as deemed necessary.
• Cooperates with others in the clinic in completing tasks according to work routine so that work can be done in minimal time and be shared in order for all functions to be completed prior to the close of the workday.
High School diploma or equivalent. Graduate from a Certified Medical Assistant program.
None required. Previous nursing/clinical experience in a physician office practice preferred.
Certification in Medical Assisting required. Cardiac Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and use hands to finger, handle or feel. The employee is required to communicate with staff, patients and visitors. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision for reading and computer work. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 100 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds. The employee is regularly required to stand, walk and be on feet for long periods of time. Must be able to tolerate PPE for long periods of time.
The work environment described here is representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee works in an area with good lighting and climate control. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.