Assists Dietary Manager in directing all activities of the Dietary department. Making changes in menu system regarding diet changes for patients, as well as the cafeteria. Coordinate staff to assure completion of all food and beverage needs for the department. Perform in conjunction with the department director, to assure that the department is adhering to the policies and procedures that meet all state and federal requirements.
Reports to Dietary Manager
Supervisor, Head Cook, Cooks, Food Service Workers
POSITION SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS:
- The Dietary Asst Mngr/Dietitian must have the ability to lead the department staff in absence of & in coordination with Dietary Director.
- Must be able to make decisions of routine, job-related nature including work and shift assignments.
- Be able to make emergency decisions relating to personnel safety, discipline and security.
- Has the ability to supervise and secure the cooperation of the department employees
- Will be asked to perform computer tasks.
- Must be familiar with the basic principles of nutrition as related to menu planning, established patterns for modified diets, preparation of quality food and high standards of food service.
- Must be able to effectively communicate with department staff through written and oral means to provide guidance and instruction.
- Ability to communicate with medical, nursing, and ancillary staff in regards to nutrition issues.
- Ability to communicate with patients and families to provide nutrition counseling and education.
- Must be knowledgeable of Windows operating system and Microsoft Office software.
Good, inside temperature controlled, well-lit working environment. Office space will be provided.
- Directs production staff to assure accuracy and compliance with all state and federal requirements.
- Monitors production sheets to check production tally for all food requirements vs. actual usage. These will include patient meals, catering functions and cafeteria sales.
- Have the ability to compile the orders for department needs while complying with the budgetary limits and using online ordering systems.
- Will have the authority to perform disciplinary actions or hire department staff in conjunction with the Dietary Manager.
- Attends and contributes to all required departmental and health center meetings & in-services.
- Assists with training and education of staff.
- Assists department director in the process of inventory control.
- Ability to write the department work schedule while complying with budgetary guidelines.
- May be required to fill open positions to meet department required staffing level. Current State of Iowa driver’s license is required, or the ability to obtain one.
- Participates in menu planning for regular and therapeutic diets. Oversees food production records, including costs of menu. Uses menus to order food and supplies from approved vendors, maintaining inventory control and staying within budget guidelines.
- Completes nutrition assessments according to clinical practice guidelines.
- Provides nutrition counseling and diet instruction to patients and families when deemed necessary by the physician, nursing staff, and at the discretion of the dietitian.
- Will be expected to report to work in a timely fashion in order to assist with patients, cafeteria, caters, and deliveries as needed. Will be expected to be available to substitute on weekends as needed
- Contribute to positivity in the work environment. Address issues with staff directly and in a professional manner that produces positive outcomes.
- Performs other related duties as requested or required.
- Must have regular and punctual attendance
Foodservice experience required, preferably in a healthcare setting. The Assistant Manager should be motivated to learn new skills quickly. Serv-Safe certified preferred, or have the ability to obtain certification. Willingness to obtain Dietary Manager certification desired. Registered Dietitian, Licensed Dietitian.