TITLE: Director-Center for Outcomes Research and Evaluation
Reports to: Vice President for Research - Maine Medical Center Research Institute/MaineHealth
We are seeking a visionary, experienced health researcher to lead and grow the Center for Outcomes Research and Evaluation (CORE) at MaineHealth. MaineHealth is the largest health system North of Boston, making this a unique opportunity to impact the health of people of Northern New England through innovative research. CORE sits within the Maine Medical Center Research Institute, which houses five other research centers.
The Director of CORE is responsible for strategic planning and overall scientific leadership of CORE, including its 22 employees. The Director will develop a clear scientific vision for CORE, and will guide a programmatic research agenda to align with that vision. The mission of CORE is to conduct innovative research to understand and improve patient-centered outcomes in health care, initiate and evaluate interventions to improve health care quality and safety, and support the growth of research within MaineHealth through education, training, and mentoring.
This is a leadership position accountable for influencing and executing change, achieving operating efficiency, and directing strategic integrations in concert with the MaineHealth Academic Affairs Strategic Plan. The ideal Director will apply their leadership and communication skills to promote CORE’s mission and strategic vision and do so with respect, humility and flexibility.
The Director of CORE will also be responsible for the following:
- Support the development of a strategic plan for the growth of health services and clinical research across MaineHealth
- Create a cohesive research strategy by clarifying the overall mission of CORE
- Cultivate connections with other research centers within the Maine Medical Center Research Institute to identify opportunities for collaboration
- Engage clinical leaders throughout MaineHealth to develop and strengthen clinical research
- Maintain and grow one’s own research portfolio
- Expand and enhance program evaluation skills, expertise and opportunities
- Facilitate the professional growth of CORE faculty and staff through direct mentorship and the development of educational and mentorship programs
- Develop a strategy to authentically and meaningfully engage communities in research
- Support the dissemination of CORE’s research and evaluation findings through articles in peer-reviewed journals, conference presentations, webinars, social media, and other avenues for dissemination
- Identify opportunities to connect research findings from CORE investigators with relevant policy at state and/or federal levels.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Candidates with an MD/DO, PhD, ScD, DrPH, or other relevant doctoral degree will be considered for this position. For physician-scientists, candidates with formal research training (e.g., MPH, research fellowship) are strongly preferred.
- Candidates should qualify for Associate or full Professor faculty appointment at Tufts University School of Medicine.
- Minimum 7+ years of research leadership or progression of research leadership.
- Broad understanding and research experience within acute care hospitals, physician practice operations, and other health care services.
- Progressive experience in mentoring junior faculty, trainees, and medical students
- History of continued extramural funding for research through the National Institutes of Health, PCORI, and/or foundations.
- Desire to grow research through leadership of others.
- Demonstrated strategic thinking, planning abilities and the ability to lead through both influence and direct authority.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and facilitation skills with the ability to communicate effectively and to lead a broad range of stakeholders.
- Analytical and critical thinking skills necessary to evaluate and to execute strategic initiatives, to recommend changes, and then to implement business processes.
- Interpersonal communication skills associated with managing a complex organization as well as the necessary skills to influence, negotiate, and resolve problems effectively and to make strategic and tactical decisions with senior and clinical leaders.
- Change management skill and knowledge, including competence in changing a vision into action by executing on strategy, partnerships, goals, and measurements.
- Commitment to creating and championing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion within CORE and throughout MaineHealth.
Maine Medical Center is a Magnet designated 606-bed tertiary care and teaching institution. MMC is Maine's largest hospital and a state-wide health care resource. MMC offers outstanding career opportunities and quality of life in Portland.