Under the supervision of a Registered Professional Nurse and according to defined policies and procedures, performs various service duties and technical tasks such as taking vital signs and assisting patients with basic hygiene and activities of daily living. Specific duties may vary by area of assignment. Consideration of the special needs and behaviors of specific patient populations is required.
- Must be registered in the University of Maine Augusta (UMA) NUR396E course to be eligible to apply for this externship program.
- Please include a cover letter and identify your top three choices of the desired units for the externship program.
Required Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
- Education: Ability to read, write and speak English in order to transcribe and communicate approved provider's orders at a level normally acquired through a high school education. Participates in ongoing education relative to role as defined. Must be a University of Maine Nursing student.
- License/Certifications: Must be certified as a Nursing Assistant by State of Maine and be on the State of Maine Registry.
- Experience: N/A
- Ability to perform simple arithmetic calculations.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to exchange information and maintain courteous relationships with patients, families, visitors and hospital employees.
- Knowledge of standards, policies, procedures and organizational structure of the unit, the Department of Nursing, and Pen Bay Medical Center.