Responsible for coordinating unit-based education for Parkland professional nursing staff and unlicensed assistive personnel with regard to orientation and continuing education to ensure that staff are able to demonstrate current competencies and meet professional and Parkland nursing standards of practice in assigned areas.The role includes development of strategies and goals aligned with improvement of patient and practice outcomes.
- Must have a Bachelor of Science in Nursing or a related field.
- Must have four (4) years of clinical experience, including two years recent work in clinical specialty.
- Must have current, valid RN license or temporary RN license with the Texas Board of Nursing; or, valid Compact RN license.
- Must have current healthcare provider CPR course completion card from one of the following:
o American Heart Association
o American Red Cross Rescuer
o Military Training Network.
- Must be certified as a CPR Instructor or obtain within six (6) months of employment/placement in classification.
- If applicable, Applicants must pass (80% or above) the Challenge Exam to staff in their respective clinical nursing practice area.
Skills or Special Abilities:
- Provides care to assigned patient population in accordance with the current State of Texas Nurse Practice Act, established protocols, multidisciplinary plan of care, and clinical area specific standards.
- Must be able to demonstrate effective verbal and written communication.
- Must have superior writing skills to compose unit based education materials, advertisements, orientation and competency checklists.
- Must display ability to successfully manage multiple educational projects simultaneously.
- Must demonstrate competence in technical skills and knowledge related to assigned clinical area.
- Must be organized and creative in the educational process for unit specific education.
- Must demonstrate patient centered/patient valued behaviors.
- Must be able to establish effective, respectful and collegial working relationships with all internal and external customers including but not limited to peer group, leadership, patients, physicians, employees, students volunteers and vendors
- Demonstrates proficiency in use of technology as applicable to role.
-Must be able to develop and track goals related to practice and patient outcomes that are specific to the assigned specialty.
-Must be able to establish role, practice and outcome driven behaviors
-Must be able to utilize evidence based sources to drive practice, policy and outcomes
1. Develops, implements, and evaluates house-wide and unit specific orientation for clinical staff, including new staff nurses, transferring nurses, and unlicensed assistive personnel (UAP). Educates orientees in policies, protocols, procedures, nursing standards, and management of specific patient populations as indicated. Participates in the evaluation of orientees¿ knowledge and skills to determine compliance with established standards.
2. Implements ongoing competency evaluations of clinical staff, in collaboration with leadership, to determine compliance with established standards.
3. Provides ongoing comprehensive educational needs assessments using a variety of sources that reflect the organizational environment, healthcare trends, and individual learning characteristics. Prioritizes, plans, and implements education activities based on the information gained from the needs assessment data.
4. Provides clinical bedside instruction and serves as a clinical resource for clinical staff. Takes responsibility for maintaining own clinical skills.
5. Maintains records of educational activities in accordance with institutional, departmental, and regulatory standards.
6. Advertises educational activities to internal and external customers. Ensures that promotional materials are professional in appearance, accurate, conform to established standards, and distributed in a timely manner.
7. Incorporates knowledge of teaching/learning theory, effective teaching strategies, use of audio-visual aids, and learning evaluation strategies when coordinating unit-based educational activities or serving as a speaker to ensure programs achieve their goals.
8. Ensures effective communication to promote productive and cooperative working relationships.
9. Assists in the development, implementation, and monitoring of departmental goals. Monitors and reports activities supporting departmental goals according to established standards. Evaluates and revises work related activities to ensure support of the goals and mission of Parkland and the department. 10. Serves as departmental resource through committee and/or task force activities.
11. Identifies ways to improve work processes and improve customer satisfaction. Makes recommendations to supervisor, implements, and monitors results as appropriate in support of the overall goals of the department and Parkland.
12. Stays abreast of the latest developments, advancements, and trends in the field by attending seminars/workshops, reading professional journals, actively participating in professional organizations, and/or maintaining certification or licensure. Integrates knowledge gained into current work practices.
13. Maintains knowledge of applicable rules, regulations, policies, laws and guidelines that impact the area. Develops effective internal controls designed to promote adherence with applicable laws, accreditation agency requirements, and federal, state, and private health plans. Seeks advice and guidance as needed to ensure proper understanding.
14. Utilizes leadership principles to maintain collaborative relationships with unit level leadership for negotiation of unit level educational, onboarding, and orientation requirements
Parkland Health and Hospital System prohibits discrimination based on age (40 or over), race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, disability, national origin, marital status, political belief, or veteran status.
Nearest Major Market: Dallas
Nearest Secondary Market: Fort Worth
Job Segment: Public Health, Medical, Patient Care, Nursing, Registered Nurse, Healthcare