The Stead Family Children’s Hospital Department of Perioperative Services is seeking a Surgical Technologist to assists with surgical procedures; provision of therapeutic, preventive and emergency patient care duties; and preparation, operation and maintenance of routine and complex equipment, instruments and supplies. All duties are done under the direction of a registered professional nurse.
Duties to Include:
- Prepare surgical area for patient care and anticipate the needs of the surgical team
- Apply knowledge related to emergency situations and surgical procedures in the operating room
- Demonstrate understanding of principles of medical and surgical asepsis; recognize and communicate breaks in aseptic technique
- Provide for proper care and handling of equipment, instruments, supplies and implants (E/I/S/I)
- Demonstrate knowledge of various surgical equipment and advanced surgical instrumentation
- Demonstrate competency in performance of delegated technical functions and clinical activities, in accordance with institutional policies
- Assist with the provision of patient care with regard to the patient's condition and age
- Exhibit high level of collaboration with peers in making decisions related to surgical patient care
- Demonstrate critical thinking skills in relations to anticipating the needs of the patient and surgeon
- Implement measures to prevent potential patient problems/complications and reports unusual incidents
- Assist with documentation according to department/division standard under the direction of the Registered Nurse
- Perform computer functions within scope of role as defined by the individual unit
- Serve as primary preceptor to orient new staff and/or student technologists to scrubbing duties
- Serve as a mentor and positive role model to new employees and other surgical team members
- Practice standard precautions in infection control in accordance with institutional policy
- Follow changes in patient care protocol based on research findings
- Participate in and contribute to unit staff meetings and in-service programs
- May participate in perioperative initiatives or shared governance committees
- Perform other special projects and tasks as assigned
The Department of Perioperative Services within the Stead Family Children’s Hospital is responsible for providing services for patients before, during, and after surgery. Our staff is committed to providing quality patient care, compassionate service, and exhibiting UIHC ICARE Core values in all we do. We are proud to be a part of Iowa’s only nationally ranked children’s hospital where we are committed to changing medicine and changing kids’ lives®.
Percent of Time: 60%
Schedule: Rotating shifts, on call and holiday rotation
Location: Stead Family Children’s Hospital
Pay Grade: 10 - https://hr.uiowa.edu/pay/pay-plans/merit-pay-plan
- Regular salaried position located in Iowa City, Iowa
- Fringe benefit package including paid vacation; sick leave; health, dental, life and disability insurance options; and generous employer contributions into retirement plans
- For more information about Why Iowa?, click here
Minimum Eligibility Requirements
- Satisfactory completion of a vocational or military course in surgical technology, or certification as a Surgical Technologist
- Five years experience as a Surgical Technologist
- Experience in scrubbing Emergency Craniotomy, Ortho Trauma and General Surgery
Application Process: In order to be considered, applicants must upload a resume or CV (under submission relevant materials) that clearly address how they meet the listed required and desired qualifications of this position.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of 10 calendar days.
Successful candidates will be subject to a criminal background check.