The Elder Life Specialist (ELS) is an integral member of the team in operating the Hospital Elder Life Program (HELP) with the Department of Geriatrics. The ELS evaluates and enrolls geriatric inpatients at high risk of developing complications in hospital. Under the supervision of the Geriatrics Manager, assists in training and assigning volunteers to deliver patient interventions. These interventions include the Daily Visitor Program, therapeutic Activities, Early Mobilization Program, Feeding Assistance Program, Vision and Hearing Assistance, and Sleep Enhancement Program. Experience or interest working with older adults is highly desired.
Required Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
1. Bachelor’s degree in Recreational Therapy, Social Work or related field.
2. Eligible for Certification as a Therapeutic Recreational Specialist (CTRS) as administered by NCTRC or eligible for LSW with focus on elder care is preferred.
3. Ability to manage time efficiently, including flexibility and prioritization of work tasks in a fast paced setting.
4. Superior communication skills and ability to work collaboratively with a wide variety of professional disciplines. Ability to conduct needs assessment on different units/services.
5. Ability to sensitively assess patients for participation in program and communicate initial plan of care to staff, volunteers and patients.
6. Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Maine Medical Center is a Magnet designated 606-bed tertiary care and teaching institution. MMC is Maine's largest hospital and a state-wide health care resource. MMC offers outstanding career opportunities and quality of life in Portland.