MercyOne is seeking a strategic communications expert to join our team and advance our Mission of transforming the health of our communities. As the regional communications lead, you will work as a liaison to connect local needs with system strategies and own internal and external communications across Northeast Iowa. You will work with a passionate team of marketing and communications colleagues, senior leaders and doctors to engage colleagues and advance our Vision.
We are seeking a communications expert to lead outreach to our colleagues and providers and support building connections with patients. This is a highly visible role which will work to deliver effective internal and external communications.
The ideal candidate takes initiative, seeks to provide clarity and is energized by juggling priorities. The successful candidate for this position is team-focused, composed in fast-moving situations, embraces ambiguity, ramps quickly on complex issues, and anticipates questions/reactions.
This position is based in Waterloo, Iowa, with limited travel required.
What You'll Do
- Work closely and collaboratively across teams to elevate local communications activations (including events, sponsorships and celebrations) and support local departments, service lines and foundations
- Optimize internal system-wide messages per local channels and knowledge to achieve the organization's strategic priorities
- Craft local internal messages within the MercyOne brand voice to nurture MercyOne's culture, drive engagement and instill confidence and trust among colleagues and clinicians
- Write and edit local statements, press releases, talking points, fact sheets, contributed stories, presentations, web and intranet content, video scripts, award nominations, and other communications materials
- Direct regional communications team and resources
- Support and coach senior leaders in building awareness, understanding of and connection to MercyOne's Mission, Values and strategies to advance our Key Results
- Serve as a liaison to the senior leadership team to cascade need-to-know information to the correct audience in the most appropriate channel
- Extend MercyOne advocacy messages and support local advocacy events
- Maintain and deploy internal communication channels including emails, intranet, electronic boards/screensavers and more
- Field media inquiries, pitch stories, and support crisis communications in partnership with system communications team members
- Monitor social media for local responses and craft local content in collaboration with social media specialists and system-wide best practices
- Prepare and train leaders for media interviews and speaking engagements
- Leverage public relations and content to attract new MercyOne team members and grow engagement with current colleagues and providers
- Serve on the regional Culture Cabinet and infuse culture into all internal communications
- Take an active role in regional community benefit programs and represent MercyOne on regional boards as requested
- Continuously ideate and innovate
- Live by our Mission, Values and Cultural Beliefs and showcase these MercyOne foundations in your daily work