Responsible for the overall direction and daily operational activities of the Emergency, Urgent Care, Trauma & Disaster Management department including planning, budget, personnel, quality improvement, coordinating clinical services, policy development and collaboration with physicians and administration to ensure high quality, patient-centered services.
- Must have a Bachelor's degree in Nursing, Business Administration, or Healthcare Administration.
-Prefer a Master's degree in Nursing, Business Administration, or Healthcare Administration
- Must have fifteen (15) years of progressively responsible nursing experience to include responsibility of completing a minimum of two trauma surveys and/or must have experience planning and managing care to meet a Comprehensive Stroke Accreditation.
- Must have experience with a designated or verified Level I or Level II Trauma Center.
- Must have experience in emergency and trauma nursing.
- Must have skills in managing performance projects.
-Must have Federal Emergency Management Administration (FEMA) course certification for IS-700.B: An Introduction to the National Incident Management System (NIMS) or obtain within 30 days of placement in role.
-Must have Federal Emergency Management Administration (FEMA) course certification for IS-100.C: Introduction to the Incident Command System (ICS 100) for Healthcare/Hospitals or obtain within 30 days of placement in role.
-Must have Federal Emergency Management Administration (FEMA) course certification for IS- 200.HCA: Applying ICS to Healthcare Organizations (ICS 200) or obtain within 30 days of placement in role.
-Must have Federal Emergency Management Administration (FEMA) 800, and 300
-Must have current, valid RN license or temporary RN license from the Texas Board of Nursing; or, valid Compact RN license
-Must have a current TNCC or ATCN certification
-Must have a current ENPC or PALS certification
Skills or Special Abilities:
- Provides care to assigned patient population in accordance with the current State of Texas Nurse Practice Act, established protocols, multidisciplinary plan of care, and clinical area specific standards.
-Must have effective verbal and written communication skills in working with a diverse population of physicians, nurses, and support staff.
-Must demonstrate knowledge and skill in resource management including budget and personnel practices.
-Must have effective leadership skills and be capable of motivating, recruiting and educating staff through department adaptations.
-Must demonstrate knowledge of Parkland policies, structure, procedures and mission.
Must demonstrate patient centered/patient valued behaviors
1. Oversees the coordination of data extraction and exchange activities between Trauma Service Management and Trauma Case Managers for hospital, state, and national studies to ensure accurate and timely trauma case reporting. Oversees the Trauma Registry data function by assigning abbreviated injury scores and ICD-9 codes to each trauma diagnosis, accurate calculation of injury severity scores, and compilation of statistics for American College of Surgeons and State registry reporting to ensure maintenance of Level 1 Trauma verification.
2. Responsible for the daily operations and management of the Emergency, Urgent Care, Trauma & Disaster Management department including long and short term planning, personnel and budget, quality improvement, education and patient care to ensure high quality services and optimal patient care.
3. Participates in a variety of hospital wide and interdisciplinary committees in order to ensure the coordination of departmental functions. Represents Parkland in local, regional, and state planning committees, and task forces on Trauma, Emergency Preparedness, and Disaster Management. Communicates effectively with Parkland personnel, including the Safety Officer and the Medical Director of Trauma Services in order to coordinate planning activities. Receives direction on planning activities from the Environment of Care committee and Senior Administration for Disaster Management & Trauma.
4. Responsible for implementing quality management practices in support of patient centered/patient valued services. Collaborates with Quality and Risk management staff to develop, implement and evaluate quality indicators such as quality checklists, clear audits, patient/employee surveys, and monitor trends. Incorporates relevant studies and findings (infection control, customer service) into department practices. Identifies and analyzes the changes to improve the effectiveness, productivity, and efficiency that support the overall goals of Parkland.
5. Participates in hospital wide and interdisciplinary committees such as Infection Control Committee, Value Analysis Committees, and Managed Care Committees to ensure coordination of division functions.
6. Coordinates all Disaster and Emergency Preparedness Planning for Parkland Health & Hospital System, including the COPC clinic system. Collaborates with key department directors to ensure Parkland readiness to handle internal and external disasters. Ensures compliance with Joint Commission standards for Trauma Services and Disaster & Emergency Preparedness. Prepares and coordinates quarterly disaster drills for the health system and works with campus partners to ensure their cooperation in the event of a disaster.
7. Responsible for a collaborative work team to ensure positive working relationships. Communicates effectively with physicians, nurses, ancillary staff, other departments/units, administration and vendors. Maintains good communication with other hospitals and community healthcare providers.
8. Serves as consultant, advisor, liaison, fund raiser and educator for Parkland and the community by providing information and educational programs for communities and health care professionals, technical assistance to state agencies requesting toxicology assistance and consultant services concerning medical toxicology to ensure program meets community needs.
9. Serves as liaison/resource for physicians, faculty, staff, patients/families, administration, other departments and employees. Provides reports for administrative and staff review. Researches information, delegates tasks effectively and demonstrates responsiveness to innovation and cross-discipline expertise.
10. Responsible for the condition and safety of the department facilities as measured by cleanliness, proper type, amount and functioning of equipment and overall environmental safety. Oversees timely and effective maintenance of equipment and rooms. Responsible for space planning, including renovations, capital repairs and acquisitions.
1. Identifies and analyzes the design of jobs, work processes, work flows, etc. for the area and implements appropriate changes to improve effectiveness, productivity, and efficiency that support the overall goals of the department and Parkland.
2. Stays abreast of the latest developments, advancements, and trends in the field by attending seminars/workshops, reading professional journals, actively participating in professional organizations, and/or maintaining certification or licensure. Integrates knowledge gained into current work practices.
3. Maintains knowledge of applicable rules, regulations, policies, laws and guidelines that impact the area. Develops effective internal controls designed to promote adherence with applicable laws, accreditation agency requirements, and federal, state, and private health plans. Seeks advice and guidance as needed to ensure proper understanding.
4. Develops and monitors annual budgets that ensure the department has the necessary funds to carry out the goals and objectives that have been established for the department.
5. Develops, implements, monitors, and revises annual goals and objectives for the department that support the missions and objectives of Parkland.
6. Selects, trains, schedules, motivates, supervises, and evaluates employees making recommendations for disciplinary actions up to and including termination, to ensure maximum utilization of individual and group capabilities. Ensures that assigned employees receive opportunities to further their knowledge.
Parkland Health and Hospital System prohibits discrimination based on age (40 or over), race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, disability, national origin, marital status, political belief, or veteran status.
Nearest Major Market: Dallas
Nearest Secondary Market: Fort Worth
Job Segment: Manager, Medical, Patient Care, Emergency Medicine, Registered Nurse, Management, Healthcare