Manages the Benefits area by planning, evaluating, auditing, monitoring, and administering assigned benefit and wellbeing programs (including self-insured plans), while managing investment funds, internal/external reporting, distributions, and the claims appeals process to ensure that Parkland staff are provided with quality Benefits programs and services.
- Must have a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration or a related field.
- Must have eight (8) years of benefits administration experience.
- Must have two (2) years of supervisory experience
- Must have experience working with pension plans
- Must have Federal Emergency Management Administration (FEMA) course certification for IS-700.B: An Introduction to the National Incident Management System (NIMS) or obtain within 30 days of placement in role.
- Must have Federal Emergency Management Administration (FEMA) course certification for IS-100.C: Introduction to the Incident Command System (ICS 100) for Healthcare/Hospitals or obtain within 30 days of placement in role.
- Must have Federal Emergency Management Administration (FEMA) course certification for IS-200.HCA: Applying ICS to Healthcare Organizations (ICS 200) or obtain within 30 days of placement in role.
- Certified Benefits Professional or Professional Human Resources certification preferred.
Skills or Special Abilities:
- Must have a working knowledge of accounting theories and principles, federal tax laws, and benefit plans and regulations.
- Must have good interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to demonstrate effective management skills and techniques.
- Must have strong analytical skills.
- Must have strong oral and written communication skills.
- Must have a working knowledge of spreadsheet, database, and word processing software applications.
1. Partner with the VP of Total Rewards on overall benefits strategic planning process, including evaluating benefit trends, and identifying new and innovative offerings. Develop and recommend new or modified plans and policies as needed.
2. Lead RFP process working with procurement and other stakeholders to effectively contract with vendors and implement programs timely.
3. Design and implement a robust wellbeing program that is comprehensive and integrates with the health plan.
4. Participate in the Investment Committee meetings.
5. Provide guidance to Benefits team, shared services and third-party vendors on benefits administration responsibilities. Provide outstanding customer service for escalated employee benefit inquiries and issues.
6. Proactively identify process improvement opportunities and address needed corrections.
7. Develop and implement communication strategies to ensure effective promotion and understanding of benefit offerings to new and existing employees, candidates and family members.
8. Manage the design of disability benefit programs available for Parkland personnel to ensure the programs are competitive.
9. Manage relationships with benefit broker, advisors, carriers and vendors, ensuring high performance standards are met or exceeded.
10. Develop and implement operational and financial controls and procedures to establish and maintain the integrity of self-insured and other benefit programs.
11. Administer benefit plans by managing eligibility requirements, enrollment, funding, reconciliations, and distributions to ensure adherence to established policies and procedures.
12. Oversee financial transactions between Parkland and other institutions and audit allocations and investment funds to monitor and maintain established benefit accounting procedures.
13. Assist in developing, monitoring, and administering the annual Benefits budgets to ensure necessary funds to effectively carry out the goals and objectives that have been established.
14. Coordinate the appeal process for Benefits claims according to established procedures to ensure that employees are provided with a prompt and fair means to present disputes.
15. Participate in professional benefits organizations and networking groups to understand trends in the healthcare industry.
1. Identifies and analyzes the design of jobs, work processes, work flows, etc. for the area and implements appropriate changes to improve effectiveness, productivity, and efficiency that support the overall goals of the department and Parkland.
2. Stays abreast of the latest developments, advancements, and trends in the field by attending seminars/workshops, reading professional journals, actively participating in professional organizations, and/or maintaining certification or licensure. Integrates knowledge gained into current work practices.
3. Maintains knowledge of applicable rules, regulations, policies, laws and guidelines that impact the area. Develops effective internal controls designed to promote adherence with applicable laws, accreditation agency requirements, and federal, state, and private health plans. Seeks advice and guidance as needed to ensure proper understanding.
4. Develops and monitors annual budgets that ensure the department has the necessary funds to carry out the goals and objectives that have been established for the department.
5. Develops, implements, monitors, and revises annual goals and objectives for the department that support the missions and objectives of Parkland.
6. Selects, trains, schedules, motivates, supervises, and evaluates employees making recommendations for disciplinary actions up to and including termination, to ensure maximum utilization of individual and group capabilities. Ensures that assigned employees receive opportunities to further their knowledge.
Parkland Health and Hospital System prohibits discrimination based on age (40 or over), race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, disability, national origin, marital status, political belief, or veteran status.
Nearest Major Market: Dallas
Nearest Secondary Market: Fort Worth
Job Segment: Manager, Patient Care, Healthcare Administration, Business Process, Management, Healthcare