Provides knowledge of safety and lab procedures to ensure that laboratory operates smoothly. Ensures employees are properly trained and always comply with necessary rules and regulations. Ensures the laboratory reports precise results that are accurate and can be counted on.
• Works collaboratively with leadership throughout the organization on an as needed basis.
• Responsible for maintaining all licensure, certifications and inspections related to the lab.
• Works closely with lab staff and phlebotomists to reduce pre-analytic clinical errors to ensure high quality laboratory results are reported.
• Handles aspects of employee time records prior to approval, payroll involvement and the electronic paperwork for payroll adjustments in the event that paychecks are incorrect.
• Maintains in depth knowledge and understanding of all staffing, budget, scheduling and pay policies and procedures as well as an ability to effectively communicate this understanding.
• Liaison to assist the IS team to help facilitate programming and interfacing of the Laboratory Information System(LIS) to Electronic Medical Record(EMR) system and Reference Laboratory’s Information System.
• Maintains the Laboratory Information System database, adding and updating interface codes as needed. Managing and testing system upgrades, and providing education to staff.
• Establishes work plan and priorities using standard procedures to assure timely completion of assigned work in conformance with department policies and procedures.
• Selects test methodology appropriate for clinical use to obtain test results requested by providers within the organization.
• Conducts performance evaluations of assigned personnel. Counsels employees and addresses conflicts among staff and brings them to a resolution.
• Verifies the test procedures and establishes the laboratory’s performance criteria.
• Enrolls laboratory in an approved Proficiency Testing program commensurate with services offered.
• Establishes and maintains a Quality Control Program appropriate for the testing performed.
• Resolves technical problems and takes remedial actions whenever test systems deviate from laboratory’s established performance specifications.
• Ensures patient test results are not reported until all corrective action has been taken and the system is functioning properly.
• Obtains appropriate Service Support Contracts for instrumentation to assure required Preventive Maintenance is performed and instruments are returned to proper functioning status after breakdowns or deviation from Quality Control Standards occur.
• Identifies training needs and assures testing personnel receive in-service training.
• Responsible for ordering reagents and maintaining adequate supplies so that testing is not interrupted or delayed.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Consistently provides service excellence to all patients, family members, visitors, volunteers and co-workers in a manner that reflects MACC’s commitment to CARES: compassion, accountability, respect, excellence and service.
• Bachelors degree, preferably in Laboratory Medicine and 2 years work experience in laboratory or Associates degree in laboratory medicine, preferably MLT program with 4 years work experience in a laboratory setting OR comparable combination of education/work experience
• Must have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work successfully in a team effort in a leadership role.
• Prior supervisory experience preferred
• Must possess good oral and written communication skills
• Must be well organized, dependable, self-motivating, and demonstrate initiative.