· Demonstrates the Core Values of Integrity, Trust, Respect, Teamwork and Excellence in all interactions and communications.
· Demonstrates excellent organizational skills in preparing for surgical procedures.
· Prepares instruments, supplies and equipment to maintain a safe and therapeutic environment for the patient.
· Incorporates personal integrity and surgical conscience into all aspects of performance.
· Collaborates with the registered nurse and perioperative team in order to implement the care plan for the patient's procedure.
· Collaborates in a positive manner with central sterilization staff
· Ensures environmental safety for patients and personnel by wearing appropriate surgical attire and personal protective equipment, anticipating the needs of the patient and the perioperative team and maintaining aseptic technique.
· Actively participates in universal protocol and time out processes according to policy.
· Initiates proper procedure for sponge, needle and instrument counts.
· Ensures proper care and handling of specimens.
· Initiates proper procedure for care and handling of medications on the sterile field.
· Ensures proper care, labelling and handling of equipment and instrumentation.
· Holds retractors or instruments, sponges or suctions operative site, cuts suture material, connects drains to suction apparatus and applies dressing material as directed by the surgeon
· Cleans and prepares instruments for decontamination and sterilization.
· Assists other members of team with cleaning of surgical suite
· Assists in prepping room for the next patient
· Demonstrates proficient computer skills with Meditech and ORM to print preference cards/schedules as needed.
· Serves as a preceptor/mentor to new operating room staff.
· Attends staff meetings, inservices and continuing education opportunities to augment learning.
· Maintains patient's rights to privacy and confidentiality.
It is understood that this is a summary of key job functions and does not include every detail of the job that may reasonably be required.
· Possesses organizational and planning skills.
· Proficient computer skills – Meditech, ORM
· Ability to concentrate and prioritize in distracting environment.
· Ability to work at an efficient and quick pace.
· Ability to work in surgical services environment.
· Graduate of an accredited program for Surgical Technologists.
· Certified Operating Room Technician.
· BLS Certification