Provides adolescent counseling and treatment in a challenge wilderness setting and maintains the safety of all students in the adolescent substance abuse program. This position is a lead staff member who mentors others in the field and is responsible for risk management aspects of the program.
Organize and co-lead wilderness expeditions for youth in the Raven's Way Adolescent Treatment Program, maintaining safety as the number one priority. Includes all aspects of organization from selecting safe equipment, to determining what supplies and food are needed, selecting safe routes and arranging transportation. Teach outdoor skills including: safe travel, fire building, shelter construction, weather protection, cooking, kayaking, backpacking and various other outdoor and safety skills while maintaining a treatment focus.
Participate in full scope of residential program component responsibilities. Participates and facilitate daily residential program components, including supervising daily living tasks, assisting with treatment objectives, participating in recreational events, leading various treatment activities (step study, talking circles, life histories, challenge course activities, teaching alcohol and drug educational classes, etc), and sharing in therapeutic group processes.
Carry out responsibilities of a staff primary including, attending treatment team meetings as required, attending weekly staff/student primary meetings, and being the primary advocate for the youth assigned.
Complete daily progress notes and log daily student activities as outlined in the program policies and procedures.
Provide Native cultural awareness opportunities for students.
Assist with training and administration of wilderness expedition program components including monitoring and training of staff, inventory of supplies reporting, and risk management.
Assume other duties and projects as assigned.
· Bachelor’s Degree preferred in Child and Youth Care, Social Services, or closely related degree, or equivalent experience.
· Four years work experience with at-risk youth in a lead position as a wilderness instructor.
· A minimum of 192 days leading expeditions in the RW program to include both kayaking and backpacking trips, or approved other relevant wilderness guiding experience and leading 12 trips as lead guide at RW.
· Two years Demonstrated Behavioral Skills: Group Management, Communication Skills, Resource Management, Professionalism, Problem Solving skills. Proficient written documentation and reporting skills. Demonstrated leadership, mentoring, training, and supervisory skills.
· Wilderness First Responder or Wilderness Emergency Medical Technician certification
· CDC II Certification or ability to obtain within three years of hire
· Current Level I Ropes Course Certification or ability to obtain within one year of hire
· Current cold water kayaking trainer certification or ability to obtain within one year
· Ability to obtain 6 pack captain license
· State Food Handlers permit
· AK driver’s license preferred
· Applicant needs to be 21 years or older
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
· Knowledge, skill, aptitude and experience in child and youth care
· Knowledge with substance abuse treatment modalities
· Knowledge of substance abuse and its effects on the human body, mind, and social relationships and co-occurring disorders
· Knowledge of CFR 42 Part 2 and HIPAA regulations regarding client confidentiality and protected health information laws and practices
· Proficient skill/competence in wilderness hiking, kayaking, camping, fire building, safety, shelters, camp fire cooking, and use of map and compass in an isolated rain forest/island environment .
· Proficient skill in adolescent behavioral intervention/counseling
· Proficient skill/competence in using/leading adventure challenge events to further substance abuse and co-occurring disorder treatment goals
· Proficient ability to identify client treatment needs
· Proficient ability to empathize with clients , yet maintain professional boundaries at all times
· Proficient ability to understand and follow agencies policies and procedures
Apply for this job online
Refer this job to a friend
Share on your newsfeed
Software Powered by iCIMS
Regular Full-Time/80hrs (1.0 FTE)