The Case Manager is a Registered Nurse who oversees and participates in the provision of appropriate clinical interventions and support to an assigned caseload of hospice patients.
Education: Graduation from an accredited school of nursing; BSN preferred.
Experience: Minimum of one year nursing experience in a hospital, home health agency, hospice, or related program.
Licensure: Licensed as a Registered Nurse (RN) in Arkansas.
Additional Requirements: Valid Arkansas driver’s license, personal automobile, automobile insurance, and personal cell phone required.
1. Manages the patient care functions after the initial admission and assignment to a designated Case Manager.
2. Assists in the admission process as requested.
3. Interprets, when necessary, Arkansas Hospice, Inc. policies and procedures for nursing staff and others to assure understanding and compliance.
4. Coordinates and collaborates with interdisciplinary team members for the management of the plan of care on an ongoing basis to meet patient./family needs..
5. Updates the Plan of Care on an ongoing basis keeping other team members current regarding the progress of the patient’s physical status and any changing needs for care.
6. Facilitates effective written and verbal communication with patients/families and other healthcare providers.
7. Maintains communication with attending physician and community organizations concerning resources for assigned patients/families.
8. Monitors pain and symptom control to assure optimal patient comfort.
9. Coordinates CNA scheduling needs with Patient Care Coordinator/Area Manager or designee.
10. Initiates referrals for other hospice related care and services.
11. Serves as a preceptor for nurses in orientation, students, and trainees.
12. Reviews documentation of staff as directed; assures documentation is complete, accurate, and timely according to organizational policies and practice standards.
13. Participates in interdisciplinary team meetings, case conferences, care planning activities, and other committee meetings as assigned.
14. Actively participates in Performance Improvement activities.
15. Participates in community outreach activities to educate the public about Arkansas Hospice, Inc. services.
16. Coordinates and provides education on hospice and hospice services for patients/families, other team members, and the community.
17. Rotates on-call duty to provide 24-hour service to patients and families as assigned.
18. Maintains strict confidentiality at all times.
19. Utilizes and models excellent customer service skills at all times; seeks opportunities to assist patients, families and co-workers; demonstrates teamwork and cooperation.
20. Accepts direction and follows instructions from supervisor; seeks additional information as needed; works with minimal supervision.
21. Adheres to all organizational and departmental policies and procedures.
22. Continually meets organizational standards for attendance and punctuality; notifies supervisor in a timely manner when employee will be absent or late for work.
23. Attends all required meetings and inservices; seeks opportunities for additional professional development activities as appropriate.
COMPETENCIES, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
THIS SECTION DESCRIBES WHAT KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES AN EMPLOYEE IN THIS POSITION SHOULD CURRENTLY POSSESS. THIS LIST MAY NOT BE COMPLETE FOR ALL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED FOR THIS POSITION.
1. Knowledge of palliative care with emphasis on symptom control associated with terminal illness.
2. Knowledge of the holistic approach toward patient care and the nursing process as it applies to hospice patients and families.
3. Knowledge and acceptance of hospice philosophy and principles of care.
4. Skill in organizing and prioritizing workloads to meet deadlines.
5. Ability to recognize both positive and negative aspects of death and grief.
6. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
7. Ability to communicate effectively with co-workers and other customers.
8. Ability to follow basic safety policies and procedures.
9. Ability to use good judgment and to maintain confidentiality of information.
10. Ability to work as a team player.
11. Ability to demonstrate tact, resourcefulness, patience and dedication.
12. Ability to accept direction and adhere to policies and procedures.
13. Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.