Under the supervision of the Chief Radiation Therapist and Director of Imaging, the Radiation Therapist performs a variety of technical duties relating to patient treatments. The Therapist is responsible for performing machine warm-up and quality assurance procedures as defined by the physicist and/or the QA procedure manual. The Radiation Therapist performs technical duties related to patient treatment planning; Perform CT simulations, HDR and Hyperthermia treatment. Responsible for initial planning of patient treatments under the supervision of the Radiation Oncologist, Dosimetrist, and Physicist.
1. Ability to meet minimum hospital hiring standards
2. 2 year Associate Degree
3. WA RT (T) license
5. AHA Healthcare BLS
6. 3-5 years experience with ICRT/CBCT/hypothermia/Impac Synergistic/CT simulation preferred
Essential Job Functions*:
1. Responsible for performing the daily radiation treatments dictated by the treatment plan written by the radiation oncologists. Review the treatment plan daily for changes or modifications. Responsible for reading, understanding, and implementing the written dose prescription for each patient.
2. Proper setup of the radiation treatment fields per the simulation instructions. Clinically setting fields on import treatment machine per the direct supervision of the Radiation Oncologist.
3. Take portal images and CBCT images to verify the correct placement of the treatment fields. Transfer portal images for physician’s approval, implementing changes in treatment fields, documenting the portal images checked and taken in the daily treatment record.
4. Proper and safe handling and placement of treatment devices such as custom blocks, badges, compensators, and boluses. Must be able to lift 30 lbs. to the blocking slot and lock in place. Schedule boost simulations, electron traces, and block changes at appropriate times to maintain good department flow.
5. Accurately performs simple dose calculations. Accurate charting of daily MU settings, tumor doses, and other pertinent information in the daily treatment record.
6. Establish good communication with the patients to help identify potential problems and direct the patient to appropriate personnel for help.
7. Accurately documenting in EHR, as needed, per instructions.
8. Maintains the daily patient schedule. Attends chart rounds. Maintain and stock treatment rooms with the necessary supplies. Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor in a timely manner.
Essential Physical, Mental and/or Environmental Working Conditions:
1. Must be able to meet the physical/mental demands of position with or without accommodation. See checklist (page 2) for specific physical, mental and environmental working conditions.
2. Must be able to utilize good judgment, demonstrate patience, and maintain a professional demeanor at all times.
3. Must be able to work in a busy and stressful environment.