The OB/OR Tech assumes responsibility for the processing of supplies, instruments, and equipment through cleaning, packaging sterilizing, and storing procedures. The OB/OR Tech assists in inventory control and procurement and opens OR rooms for surgical procedures while maintaining sterility.
1. Ability to meet minimum hospital hiring standards
2. Vocational/Technical Diploma or Completion Certificate
3. AHA Healthcare BLS
4. WA Surgical Tech certification preferred
Essential Job Functions*:
1. Contributes to a safe and healthy work environment by cleaning, disinfecting, and preparation of instruments and supplies. Keeps works station neat and orderly.
2. Restocks and prepares supplies and equipment needed for patient care. Follows safe guidelines for safe sterile storage.
3. Responsible for preparing OR and case/delivery carts for surgical procedures while maintaining sterility.
4. Performs routine safety checks of equipment and arranges repairs as needed. Tests all instrumentation for its effectiveness and handling.
5. Assists and supports inventory control of all supplies equipment, instruments, and implants.
6. Responsible for correct counts at conclusion of surgical procedure (sharps and sponges). Assists physician with instrumentation.
7. Processes orders in Meditech. Answers phone and patient call system and conducts daily QA as assigned. Completes other duties as assigned by Director or Charge Nurse.
8. Ensures the department complies with recommended practices (AORN, DOH, JCAHO) and follows department policies.
Essential Physical, Mental and/or Environmental Working Conditions:
1. Must be able to meet the physical/mental demands of position with or without accommodation. See checklist (page 2) for specific physical, mental and environmental working conditions.
2. Must be able to utilize good judgment, demonstrate patience, and maintain a professional demeanor at all times.
3. Must be able to work in a busy and stressful environment.