The OR Tech assumes responsibility for the processing of supplies, instruments, and equipment through cleaning, packaging sterilizing, and storing procedures. The OR Tech assists in inventory control and procurement and opens OR rooms for surgical procedures while maintaining sterility.
1. Ability to meet minimum hospital hiring standards
2. Graduate of accredited Surgical Technology school required
3. WA Surgical Technologist Registration required
4. AHA Healthcare BLS
5. AST certification preferred
Essential Job Functions*:
1. Ability to assist surgeon and physician during operative, invasive, and diagnostic procedures.
2. Restocks and prepares supplies and equipment needed for patient care. Follows safe guidelines for safe sterile storage.
3. Accurately completes operating room counts (instruments, sponges, needles). Follows proper procedure in the event of incorrect count. Reports all discrepancies to RN and surgeon and/or corrects immediately.
4. Follows aseptic technique when operating sterile supplies and setting up procedures.
5. Performs routine safety checks of equipment and arranges repairs as needed. Tests all instrumentation for its effectiveness and handling prior to each procedure to ensure proper function.
6. Has an understanding of surgical procedures and the required knowledge and reasoning that allows him/her to anticipate the needs of the surgeon and surgical team. Assists and supports inventory control of all supplies equipment, instruments, and implants. Assists physician with instrumentation.
7. Ensures the department is in compliance with recommended practices (AORN, AAMI, JCAHO) and follows department policies.
8. Ensures operating/endoscopy suite is adequately prepared for procedures.
Essential Physical, Mental and/or Environmental Working Conditions:
1. Must be able to meet the physical/mental demands of position with or without accommodation. See checklist (page 2) for specific physical, mental and environmental working conditions.
2. Must be able to utilize good judgment, demonstrate patience, and maintain a professional demeanor at all times.
3. Must be able to work in a busy and stressful environment.