Assumes responsibility for the processing of departmental supplies, instruments, and equipment through cleaning, packaging sterilizing, and storing procedures. Operates autoclaves, sterrad, washer sterilizer, ultrasonic washer and all other processing services and supplies. Assist in inventory control and procurement.
1. High School diploma or equivalent
2. Vocational / Technical education
3. Central Sterile Technician Certification required within 1 year of hire date
Essential Job Functions*:
1. Prepares equipment and instrumentation needed for patient care. Follows standards for labeling of packages and containers.
2. Conforms to uniformity and simplicity of instrument trays and sets. Tests all instrumentation for its effectiveness and handling. Correctly package and wrap all instruments.
3. Performs routine safety checks of equipment and arranges repairs as needed. Monitor biological and report failures.
4. Ensures department is in compliance with recommended practices (AORN, AAMI, JCAHO).
5. Assist and support in inventory control of alldepartmental supplies, equipment and instruments and implants.
6. Prewash and disassemble, when appropriate, instruments prior to mechanical wash. Assemble and sterilize sets for future case. Prepare instruments for case carts for surgical cases.
7. Maintain documentation for sterilizers, washers, and biological.
8. Properly operate the steris unit and autoclaves. Keep work area clean and orderly.
Essential Physical, Mental and/or Environmental Working Conditions:
1. Must be able to meet the physical/mental demands of position with or without accommodation. See checklist (page 2) for specific physical, mental and environmental working conditions.
2. Must be able to utilize good judgment, demonstrate patience, and maintain a professional demeanor at all times.
3. Must be able to work in a busy and stressful environment.
Employment Type (feed only)