Halifax District Hospital opened its doors to the community on January 3, 1928. Founded by the state legislature, the hospital began operations with 125 licensed beds. During World War II, the hospital became a convalescent facility. In 1947, it was remodeled and returned to the community as an acute care general hospital. In 1985, the hospital was designated as the area's only Level II Trauma Center and changed its name to Halifax Medical Center.
In 2007, after many additional services were added, Halifax Medical Center became Halifax Community Health System, and recently simplified the name to Halifax Health. Halifax Health is the area's largest healthcare provider with a tertiary and community hospital with 678 licensed beds, more than 500 physicians on its medical staff representing 46 medical specialties.
Halifax Health is proud to offer the residents of East Central Florida outstanding diagnostic and treatment capabilities that have been consistently ranked in the top five percent of all hospitals in the nation for clinical outcomes in the following areas:
- Halifax Health - Center for Cardiology
- Halifax Health - Center for Orthopedics
- Halifax Health - Center for Neurosciences
- Halifax Health - Center for Oncology
- Trauma Center - Level II
- Pediatric Emergency Department
- Neonatal Intensive Care - Level II
- Pediatric Intensive Care - Level II
- Child and Adolescent Behavioral Services