Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
A teaching hospital of Harvard Medical School, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center is renowned for excellence in patient care, biomedical research, teaching and community service. Located in the heart of Boston, Massachusetts’s Longwood Medical & Academic Area, it hosts nearly three quarters of a million patient visits annually in and around Boston.
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center has been recognized as one of the nation's top hospitals in the U.S. News & World Report “Best Hospitals” edition, placing among the leaders in 10 clinical specialty categories.
According to the magazine, BIDMC is among an elite group of 170 hospitals nationally – only 3 percent of the nation's 5,453 hospitals – to rank in at least one of 16 specialties.
BIDMC ranked in the Top 50 among the nation's hospitals in the care and treatment cancer; ear, nose and throat; endocrinology; gastrointestinal disorders; geriatric care; gynecology; heart and heart surgery; kidney disease; respiratory disorders; and urology. Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center has been recognized as one of the nation's top hospitals in the US News & World Report “Best Hospitals” edition, placing among the leaders in 10 clinical specialty categories.
Our mission is to provide extraordinary care, where the patient comes first, supported by world-class education and research. Our mission is supported by a workforce committed to individual accountability, mutual respect and collaboration.
We recognize that the diversity, talent, innovation, and commitment of all of our employees contribute to our strength and are a major component of our success. We greatly value the leadership and participation of our trustees, overseers and donors who make an invaluable contribution to our ability to carry out our mission to serve patients, students, science and our community.
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center values and welcomes every member of our diverse community. We believe that everyone has the right to receive the medical and behavioral health care they need. We welcome all patients regardless of race, religion, country of origin, immigration status, disability or handicap, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, military services or source of payment.
BIDMC believes patients should receive the right care, at the right time, in the right place. We have a growing presence in Eastern Massachusetts with many hospitals and clinical affiliations. Our world-renowned experts provide care wherever our patients call home - from Newburyport to Plymouth, from Lexington to Quincy.
- 621 licensed beds, including 419 medical/surgical beds, 77 critical care beds and 60 OB/GYN beds
- Approximately 5,000 births a year
- A full range of emergency services, including a Level 1 Trauma Center and roof-top heliport; and
- The Beth Israel Deaconess Learning Center, offering patients and families up-to-date health information and access to current research on a wide range of medical conditions.
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center is the Official Hospital of the Boston Red Sox. Our relationship provides us with unique opportunities to serve our community and patients.
- BIDMC consistently ranks among the top four recipients of biomedical research funding from the National Institutes of Health. Research funding totals nearly $200 million annually. BIDMC researchers run more than 2500 active sponsored projects and 500 funded and non-funded clinical trials.
- The Harvard-Thorndike Laboratory, the nation's oldest clinical research laboratory, has been located on this site since 1973.
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center shares important clinical and research programs with institutions such as the Dana-Farber / Harvard Cancer Center, the Joslin Diabetes Center, and Children's Hospital.
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center has 1,200 physicians on the active medical staff (including over 800 full-time staff physicians). Most of these physicians hold faculty appointments at Harvard Medical School.
- In addition to its medical students, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center provides clinical education to students in nursing; social work; radiologic technology, ultrasound and nuclear medicine; and physical, occupational, speech and respiratory therapies.
- The Carl J. Shapiro Institute for Education and Research provides medical students and physicians in training with an on-site centralized educational facility, a state-of-the-art computer lab, and a variety of educational resources that let students diagnose, manage, and learn technical skills on simulated patients.
A Network of Care
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Needham, a direct affiliate of the medical center, brings tertiary level care to the residents of Needham and surrounding communities.
- Through a close relationship with the Joslin Clinic, BIDMC is known for treatment of diabetes, with outstanding results in cardiology, vascular surgery, podiatric care, eye care, pregnancy, and pancreatic transplantation.
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center has two multi-specialty regional outpatient centers in Lexington and on the Chelsea/Revere border,
- The medical center incorporates primary care physician offices in many communities throughout the greater Boston area.
- Through the Community Care Alliance, BIDMC is affiliated with community health centers in downtown Boston, Dorchester, Roxbury, Allston-Brighton, Quincy, and other areas.
A Caring Employer
- Over 6,000 diverse employees, including approximately 800 full-time staff physicians; 1,100 full-time registered nurses; and 4,000 non-clinical employees.
- Beth Israel Deaconess is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
These are exciting times in Boston. And we're proud to be in the middle of it. Located in the prestigious Longwood Medical Area in Boston's historic Fenway district, BIDMC resides at the center of some of the world's most renowned academic and medical institutes. Easily accessible from most suburban areas, Boston is home to a number of venerable colleges, meaning a vast variety of educational opportunities for you and your family.
Boston is also a city both rich in history and brimming with innovation:
- The resources of a major metropolis; an understated yet undeniable charm
- Close proximity to the Berkshire Mountains, Cape Cod and destinations throughout New England
- World-class museums
- Landmark historical sites
- And an exclusive affiliation with the World Champions, The Boston Red Sox!
Boston presents a unique lifestyle and quality of life that we think you'll find is truly second to none. For more information on the area, please visit anyone of these sites:
Boston Globe Online: www.boston.com
Visitor & Recreational Info: www.bostonusa.com
New England Association of Schools & Colleges: www.neasc.com
Boston Public Library: www.bpl.org