NURSE PRACTITIONER - DUKE HOSPICE
- Location: Durham, NC
- Posted: Jan 2, 2020
Duke University Hospital is consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking research. Duke University Hospital has 957 inpatient beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major surgery suite containing 51 operating rooms; an endo-surgery center; an Ambulatory Surgery Center with nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional radiology area. In fiscal year 2018, Duke University Hospital admitted 42,916 patients and had 1,085,740 outpatient visits in fiscal year 2017.
U.S News & World Report named Duke University Hospital #1 in North Carolina and #1 in the Raleigh-Durham area in 2018-19.
Duke University Hospital is ranked in the top 20 nationally for seven adult specialties, including cardiology and heart surgery, nephrology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology, rheumatology, and urology.
In addition to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive, geographically dispersed network of outpatient facilities that include primary care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty clinics and outpatient surgery centers.
Duke Nursing Highlights:
Duke University Health System is designated as a Magnet organization
Nurses from each hospital are consistently recognizedeach year as North Carolinas Great 100 Nurses.
Duke University Health System was awarded the American Board of Nursing Specialties Award for Nursing Certification Advocacy for being strong advocates of specialty nursing certification.
Duke University Health System has 6000 + registered nurses
Quality of Life: Living in the Triangle!
Collaboratively coordinates and provides care of the hospice, home health, and infusion DUHS patient population. Assesses staff educational needs related to the provision of clinical care services. Defines appropriate staff competencies in collaboration with the Duke HomeCare and Hospice Medical Director. Provides care and performs medical acts as a Nurse Practitioner, under the supervision of the supervisory physician, in the home or hospice inpatient care facility or partner facilities.
JOB RELATIONS: Responsible to: Medical Director Duke HomeCare & Hospice.
MAJOR JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Provide direct patient care and may perform medical acts as a nurse practitioner under the supervision of the supervising physician in the home, community-based care setting, or hospice inpatient care facility or partner facilities. The supervising physician will be available by pager, mobile phone, or other electronic means.
2. Assists in the coordination and development of the care plan collaboratively with the clinical staff, patient, family, physician and medical director, and establishes mutual goals.
3. Assesses and provides patient/family teaching based on patient and caregivers needs.
4. Participates in on-call rotation for medical coverage of hospice, home health, and infusion patients.
5. Participates in weekly interdisciplinary patient care conferences. Establishes, reviews, updates, and summarizes care plans in keeping with Medicare COPs and Licensure requirements.
6. Assesses learning needs of Duke HomeCare & Hospice Staff, and provides appropriate education in collaboration with the Directors of Patient Services/Hospice/Home Health/Infusion.
7. Participates in community educational projects.
8. Participates in the performance Improvement Program of Duke HomeCare & Hospice.
9. Perform complex diagnostic and therapeutic procedures in diagnosing medical and surgical problems and prescribing necessary treatment and services for quality patient care; record normal and abnormal data and tentative conclusions for review by the physician.
10. Coordinate and schedule laboratory studies and diagnostic procedures; explain the necessity, preparation, nature and anticipated effects of scheduled diagnostic and therapeutic procedures to the patient.
11. Monitor patients status, maintain a record of the patients condition and consult with supervising physician when patients response does not meet anticipated and/or predetermined criteria.
12. Participate in basic science and clinical research projects conducted by supervising physician; prepare statistical reports and analyses setting forth progress, adverse trends and appropriate recommendations or conclusions. Member of DHCH research committee.
13. Assist in teaching students and residents in complex techniques and procedures which are unique to specific clinical setting.
14. Utilizes current nursing and clinical research to support evidence based clinical decision making and practice.
15. Demonstrates responsibility for professional practice through active participation in professional organizations, continuing education and when applicable in obtaining certification.
16. Maintains confidentiality of employee and patient information.
17. Exhibits an attitude which promotes harmony and goodwill in the workplace.
18. Displays a clean, neat, professional appearance.
19. Participates in Quality Assurance Performance Improvement (QAPI).
20. Promotes quality, comprehensive services through a team approach.
21. Performs other duties as assigned.
Work requires completion of an accredited Nurse Practitioner program, with a Master's degree in Nursing
No experience required. 3 years of RN experience strongly preferred.
Licensure / Certification
Current North Carolina State Licensure as a Registered Nurse. Current approval from the North Carolina Board of Nursing and North Carolina Board of Medicine to perform medical acts under an agreement with a licensed physician for ongoing supervision, consultation, collaboration and evaluation of the medical acts performed and thus has approval to legally identify oneself as a Nurse Practitioner. Certified as a Family or Adult Nurse Practitioner through the American Nurses Credentialing Corporation, or candidate for certification. (Certification required within six months of hire date)
Two years experience as a nurse practitioner strongly preferred. Previous Home health or hospice experience preferred. 3 years of RN experience strongly preferred.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideasan exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.