American Sign Language Interpreter
- Location: Charlotte, NC
- Posted: Nov 1, 2019
Job Req ID: 234856
Position Number: 00169660
Employment Type: Full Time
Shift: Variable/On Call
Shift Details: Monday-Friday 8:00am-4:30pm. some flexible hours
Standard Hours: 40.00
Department Name: Language Services
Location: CHS Corporate Operations
Location Details: Varies
Carolinas HealthCare System is Atrium Health. Our mission remains the same: to improve health, elevate hope and advance healing - for all. The name Atrium Health allows us to grow beyond our current walls and geographical borders to impact as many lives as possible and deliver solutions that help communities thrive. For more information, please visit carolinashealthcare.org/AtriumHealth
The ASL Interpreter ensures equal access for by facilitating communication among Deaf and Hard of Hearing (HOH) patients, families, and care givers in a medical setting. Accurately and skillfully interprets healthcare related information and serves as a cultural broker for all parties served.
- Responds to requests for language access in a healthcare setting. This includes In-person and video interpreting.
- Interprets between American Sign Language (ASL) and spoken English for the healthcare institution.
- Leverages the use of technology, as needed, to deliver services in a variety of different modalities.
- Interprets information regarding the patient's and family's healthcare needs. Scenarios may include patient education, appointments, discharge instructions, procedures, emergency encounters, assessments, etc.
- Serves as a conduit to interpret as accurately and concisely as possible while considering cultural implications of Deaf culture.
- Acts as a cultural broker by educating caregivers on the understanding of patient's culture in relationship to healthcare.
- Abides by the healthcare system's and RID professional conduct standards, executes job duties in an ethical manner, and follows national practice standards.
- Participates in continuing education activities to maintain knowledge and licensure.
- Serves as a cultural mediator and educate customers appropriately.
Walk requires walking, standing, sitting, lifting, and reaching. Must lift a minimum of 10 pounds to shoulder height. Must speak English and foreign language in simple, understandable terms, and have an intact sense of sight and hearing. Must be mobile throughout entire healthcare system. Must be able to deliver language access via in-person and video remote modalities.
Education, Experience and Certifications
Bachelors degree required. 2 years experience required. Current RID, BEI, State Licensure or equivalent required. Knowledge of medical terminology and prior experience in a healthcare setting is required.
At Atrium Health, formerly Carolinas HealthCare System, our patients, communities and teammates are at the center of everything we do. Our commitment to diversity and inclusion allows us to deliver care that is superior in quality and compassion across our network of more than 900 care locations.
As a leading, innovative health system, we promote an environment where differences are valued and integrated into our workforce. Our culture of inclusion and cultural competence allows us to achieve our goals and deliver the best possible experience to patients and the communities we serve.
Posting Notes: Not Applicable
Atrium Health is an EOE/AA Employer
- Full Time