Rural Health Clinic Front Office Assistant-Full Time
- Location: Boulder City, NV
- Posted: Nov 18, 2019
Under the general direction of the Practice Manger, Physician and/or Mid-level Provider, the Front Office Assistant will support front office processes, and/or clinical processes, based on the needs of the practice and flow of the day. This position will prepare the clinic scheduling, answer phone and greeting patients, prepare and file patient charts, verifying insurance, benefits, and getting authorizations on patients coming into the clinic. The Front Office Assistant is responsible for scheduling, registration, collection co-pays, performing insurance verification, assisting with the referral and works with insurance companies by faxing to insurance companies as it relates to authorizations and benefits in a timely manner to avoid any penalties that could be incurred by the clinic. The front office Assistant will provide basic charge entry functions and HIM tasks. This position participates in the delivery of excellent customer service by keeping the reception and wait room areas clean, neat and orderly; may assist with back office procedures such as patient room turnover and filing tests, dictation or care plan activities necessary paperwork to intake patients. This position will work in tandem with other front office personnel to keep processes running smoothly.
The role will welcome patients and visitors by greeting patients and visitors in person or on the telephone; answering or referring inquiries. This position is responsible for optimizing patients satisfaction, provider time, and treatment room utilization by scheduling appointments in person or by telephone. The Front Office Assistant will keep patient appointments on schedule by notifying provider of patients arrival; reviewing service delivery compared to schedule; reminding provider of service delays. This position is a very visible to the public and will comfort patients by anticipating patients anxieties; answering patients questions; maintaining the reception area as a clean, neat, and orderly workplace. Ensures availability of treatment information by filing and retrieving patient records. Maintains patient accounts by obtaining, recording, and updating personal and financial information. The Medial Assistant is expected to actively participate and support quality improvement activities and the clinical practice teams with these efforts. Must be able to stand or walk for 12-hours. Must be able to assist in lifting and move patients as directed.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Receives incoming calls, directs calls to appropriate staff and taking messages as necessary.
2. Verifies patient information by interviewing patient; recording history; confirming purpose of visit and insurance eligibility. May be asked to call patients at home to obtain required demographics and insurance information if the patient has never been seen before in the clinic.
3. Complete pre-admit paperwork and registrations, making the needed updates so that when patient arrive, all Admitting has to do is obtain their signature and collect co-payments or deductibles that were previously agreed upon.
4. Registers patient demographic information in Cerner and Advanced MD systems dependent on type of service needed.
Runs eligibility and benefits in Cerner and Advanced MD.
5. Identifies payer web sites or other methods to verify coverage eligibility and benefits.
6. Contacts insurance companies not listed in Cerner and Advanced MD via phone or website to verify patient benefits. The verification process includes gap coverage.
7. Calculates and collects copayment, deductible, co-insurance, and out-of-pocket maximum amounts to estimate the out-of-pocket for upfront collection.
8. Determines if pre-certification, prior authorization or referral is needed based on services patient is scheduled for.
9. Reports beneficiary coverage issues with patient insurance(s) to Admitting or Director-PFS to avoid payment issues for services requested by physician or practitioner.
10. Receive insurance co-payments and post amounts paid to patient accounts.
11. Responsible for petty cash drawer.
12. Receive insurance co-payments and post amounts paid to patient accounts. Bring any payment, self-pay or deposit issues to Director PFS attention.
13. Compile and record medical charts, reports, and correspondence.
14. Secures patient information and maintains patient confidence by completing and safeguarding medical records; keeping patient information confidential. Maintains safe, secure and healthy work environment by establishing and following standards and procedures, complying with legal regulations.
15. If clinic patients become inpatients, then notifies the review organizations or insurance companies of change in status, should an authorization now be required. The UR and Discharge Planning departments will also be notified.
16. Observes all infection control policies.
17. Keeps supplies ready by inventorying stock; placing orders; verifying receipt.
18. Maintain appropriate communication and good interpersonal skills with supervisors, staff and patient to ensure coordinated effort and provision of high quality service.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. Requires interpersonal skills necessary to communicate effectively with patients, patient families, referring parties.
2. Knowledge of provider insurances such as Medicare, Medicaid, BCBS, UHC, Aetna. Understanding of PPO and HMO insurance plans.
3. Knowledge of authorization and referral processes.
4. Ability to explain insurance benefits and coverage of medical benefit plan to patients (co-pay, co-insurance, deductibles, lifetime benefit, out-of-pocket maximum, CPT codes and Diagnosis codes
5. Must possess good written and verbal communication skills.
6. Maintains strictest confidentiality and adheres to all HIPAA guidelines and regulations
7. Must possess computer skills and knowledge of other office equipment required for this position.
8. Able to pass high efficiency respirator fit and use program as required by OSHA Volume 58, #195.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
1. High School diploma or general education equivalent (GED)
2. Minimum of two years of experience in a physician practice preferably in family medicine or pediatric clinic Minimum of two years of experience in the family medicine or pediatric clinic preferred.
3. PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk, sit; use hands and fingers, handle, or feel objects; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Full Time