Clinical Documentation Improvement Specialist - Geauga Medical Center
- Location: Chardon, OH
- Posted: Nov 11, 2019
Position Summary / Essential Duties:
• Ensures hospital case-mix index and severity profiles are accurate by performing the Clinical Documentation Integrity Program activities. Works collaboratively with medical staff, as well as nursing, ancillary staff, quality department and case managers to improve the quality of chart documentation and to accurately reflect a patient’s severity of illness and risk of mortality.
• Actively engages in educating physicians regarding Clinical Documentation Integrity.
• Meets established operational standards.
• Performs other departmental duties as assigned.
*This role may encounter Protected Health Information (PHI) as part of regular responsibilities. UH employees must abide by all requirements to safely and securely maintain PHI for our patients. Annual training, the UH Code of Conduct and UH policies and procedures are in place to address appropriate use of PHI in the workplace.
• Minimum Associates Degree in health related field or Diploma in nursing required.
• Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
Required Credentials, Licensure or Certification:
Certified Coding Specialist (CCS), Registered Nurse (RN),
Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) or Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) required.
Experience & Knowledge:
• Minimum 3-5 year’s clinical and/or ICD-10 coding experience, preferably in a large academic medical center, required.
• Must have thorough, up-to-date clinical skills (i.e. current working knowledge of pathology, pharmacology, surgical procedures, etc.).
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills including presentations required.
• Ability to function independently and as a team player in a fast-paced environment required.
• Must be detail-oriented, and relationship building skills required.
Special Skills & Equipment Knowledge:
• Demonstrated ability to use PCs, Microsoft Office suite, and general office equipment (i.e., printers, copy machine, FAX machine, etc.) required.
• Experience using clinical computer systems required.