Chief Financial Officer - Finance
- Location: Kemmerer, WY
- Posted: Feb 15, 2019
The Chief Financial Officer position plays an essential role by directing the financial activities of one of Wyoming's most mature Critical Access Hospitals, including: accounting, revenue cycle, financial systems and controls, compliance, financial analysis, budgeting, operational effectiveness, strategic positioning, forecasting, and reporting. Additionally, the CFO directly oversees the functions of the Controller/Director of Information Technology, and oversees all operational aspects of revenue cycle, HIM, patient access and accounting activities.
The Chief Financial Officer is a significant member of the senior executive leadership team at South Lincoln Hospital District and is expected to build and support effective relationships with internal and external constituents. The CFO serves as one of the key components to the leadership team and is expected to provide honest counsel, both financially and strategically as they develop a report with staff, community and Board of Trustees. This position is expected to maintain a high level of visibility within the facility, our community, and the region.
Desired Education, Certifications and/or Experience
The Chief Financial Officer must possess a strong knowledge and understanding of business and financial healthcare as normally obtained through the completion of a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Business Administration or related discipline. Masters Degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Business Administration or related discipline is strongly preferred.
Must possess a strong knowledge and understanding of financial operations with a minimum of five-plus years of progressively responsible financial leadership experience.
Must possess three years of experience in an FQHC, integrated delivery system, medical center, or CAH in a financial leadership capacity. Prior experience as a CFO of one of these organizations is highly preferred.
Responsibilities / Functional Job Description
General: Performance Expectations
1. Responsible - works independently, in a safe and appropriate manner. Demonstrates both problem-solving and problem-prevention skills.
2. Sensitive - displays sensitivity to the needs of patients and co-workers. Demonstrates good communications skills and empathy.
3. Timely - recognizes time as a customer's most valuable resource and responds promptly to patients' and co-workers' needs.
4. Accurate - works carefully and precisely, with attention to detail.
5. Coordinated - organizes and delivers service in the proper order. Displays good organization skills and utilizes resources wisely.
6. Thorough - meets all the requirements of his/her position. Is able to evaluate and follow up on his/her services.
General: Teamwork and Service Expectations
1. Display and encourage sensitivity to needs of patients, visitors, and co-workers.
2. Treat others with consideration, courtesy and respect.
3. Perform duties willingly and with initiative; shares necessary information so co-workers can do the same.
4. Remain composed and takes actions to restore calm in stressful situations.
5. Demonstrate judgment and tact when dealing with others.
6. Cooperate with other hospital departments and work groups.
7. Communicate effectively with patients, visitors, and co-workers; take action to clarify information received from others.
Role Specific: Work role responsibilities
1. Ensure that accounts payable are paid in a timely manner, and that day's accounts payable are aged is tracked and reported regularly to the CEO and board of trustees.
2. Provide leadership to achieve financial and operational performance objectives and expectations including revenue growth, operational margin targets, effective expense management and overall efficiency measures. This includes the use of analytical processes to assure the success of initiatives and performance improvement opportunities in the areas of operational performance, clinical excellence, patient satisfaction and employee engagement.
3. Provide leadership in strategic planning and evaluation/assessment of growth and operational initiatives as well as the evaluation, development and implementation of new programs and service lines, capital acquisition (including campus planning and future expansion) and technological investments. This includes the evaluation and assessment of future facility operations to ensure strong financial and operating outcomes.
4. Provide leadership, supervision, guidance and development for staff. Articulate and demonstrate an expectation for continuous quality improvement through the support and display of SLHD values and service standards. Identify and provide growth opportunities for high-potential staff, which may include functioning as a mentor.
5. Develop strategy and drive process improvements focused on clinical services, outcomes, patient throughput, and patient safety. Promote a patient-centered healing environment. Promote the use and implementation of technology in the workplace in order to streamline operations, improve communications, and optimize work processes.
6. Oversee HRSA, DSH, Medicare Cost Report, and other state and federal reporting and compliance requirements.
7. Ensure an Ethics & Compliance Program is in place and functioning in all areas that report to the CFO. Enforce SLHD's compliance policies and procedures; assist or help coordinate compliance investigations, audits, and monitoring activities; coordinate and oversee compliance training.
8. Help cultivate and nurture an effective team environment in order to coordinate activities, review work, exchange information, and resolve problems. Champion, model, and promote service excellence philosophies and behaviors at the facility to enhance the overall patient experience.
9. Direct the development and strategic efforts of a foundation, ensuring an on-going review of the funds received is completed.
Desired Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
1. Workforce development that is change-ready and adaptable.
2. Developing efficient business processes with a particular focus on effective revenue cycle management.
3. Maximizing information technology to improve both efficiency and quality.
4. Reporting and communicating outcomes organization-wide.
5. Documenting value in terms of cost, efficiency, quality, patient satisfaction and population health.
6. Creating a culture that is patient-focused and customer driven.
7. Developing and motivating managers and staff to achieve strategic objectives and maintain accountability.
8. Developing and executing a financial strategic plan.
9. Gaining credibility and partnering effectively with medical staff to achieve desired organizational outcomes.
10. Success in leading profitable financial operations for a large, complex organization.
11. Achieving cost savings in a decisive, yet collaborative and professional manner.
12. Knowledge and thorough understanding of insurance and managed care contracting principles and practices.
13. In-depth knowledge of revenue cycle, accounting principles, budgeting, cost accounting and reimbursement.
14. The Chief Financial Officer must be able to negotiate with both insurance payers and vendors to achieve financial objectives while maintaining positive relationships.
15. Skilled in strategically and proactively creating and managing financial solutions, resulting in organizational growth and success.
16. Coaching and developing direct reports that results in enhanced performance outcomes.
17. Quickly assessing and assimilating organizational and industry financial dynamics and making appropriate decisions related to new initiatives.
18. Constructing new and innovative solutions to meet changing organizational strategies and goals.
19. Project management and construction of new facilities.
20. Establishing, pursuing, and monitoring appropriate process and outcome measures for key initiatives.
21. Analyzing a variety of complex financial and statistical data.
22. Anticipating and meeting the needs of internal and external customers.
23. Building strong, trusting relationships at all levels within the organization.
24. Excellent human relations, organizational and communication skills, including written, verbal, and listening skills.
25. Ability to operate various office equipment
26. Skill in accuracy and attention to detail
27. Ability to perform public relations and public speaking in a professional manner
28. Ability to maintain confidentiality
29. Ability to read, write legibly and calculate mathematical figures
30. Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables
31. Ability to work with, lead and supervise others
32. Ability to manage multiple assignments/projects; meet timelines and prioritize responsibility
33. Ability to handle stressful situations and react appropriately
34. Ability to maintain a driver's license and ability to travel distances for multiple days as necessary
35. Ability to exercise good judgement in appraising situations and making decisions
36. Ability to work and interact effectively and positively with other staff members to build and enhance teamwork across SLMC departments
37. Ability to communicate to complete responsibilities effectively
38. Ability to see to use computer efficiently and read computer reports and correspondence
39. High proficiency with Microsoft office products (excel, word, PowerPoint, etc.)
Equal Employment Opportunity
South Lincoln Medical Center will provide equal opportunity employment to all employees and applicants for employment. No person shall be discriminated against in employment because of race, color, gender, age, national origin, ancestry, religion, physical or intellectual disability, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation or any other category protected by law.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Statement
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
Position Type : Full Time
Shift : Day
711 Onyx Street
Kemmerer, WY 83101