Chief Nursing Officer
- Location: Waukegan, IL
- Posted: Nov 16, 2018
This position will provide leadership to nurse employees that will support, create ownership of goals and have them actively participate in decisions that impact the hospital while maintaining the necessary regulatory and compliance approvals and quality accreditations. As a member of the Hospitals management team the CNO will participate in functional decision-making processes necessary to the successful attainment of the hospitals mission in addition to maintaining an awareness of changes in the healthcare clinical matters that could have an impact on the success of the hospital.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Partnering with physicians who use, or will use, the hospital.
- Assisting in planning new services that generate additional sources of profitable revenue.
- Creating an environment that will encourage recruiting and retention of clinical employees.
- Managing costs by continually seeking data that will identify opportunities and take action to eliminate non-value costs.
- Establishing standards for nursing practices and maintain authority, accountability and responsibility for nursing services.
- Developing organizational patient care programs, policies and procedures that describe how nursing care is assessed, delivered and evaluated.
- Developing and managing the nursing services budget and ensuring sufficient number of qualified staff to assess patient needs.
- Plan and provide nursing care interventions and prevent complications, promote improvement and patient comfort and wellness.
- Analyzing areas in planning, promoting and conducting organization-wide performance improvement activities.
- Representing the nursing services at all meetings including medical staff and hospital board of director meetings; participates with leaders in designing and providing patient care and services.
- Other duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Produce cogent and persuasive written materials to address nursing, healthcare and organizational issues appropriate to the audience.
- Resolve and manage conflict.
- Build trusting, collaborative relationships with:
o Other disciplines and ancillary services
o Community leaders
o Nursing and other educational programs
Create and communicate a shared vision
Reward appropriate behaviors and confront and manage inappropriate behaviors
Develop, communicate and monitor behavior expectations
Create an environment which recognizes and values differences in staff, physicians, patients and communities
Assess current environment and establish indicators of progress toward cultural competency
Define diversity in terms of gender, race, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age, etc.
Analyze population data to identify cultural clusters
Define cultural competency and permeate principles throughout the organization
Confront inappropriate behaviors and attitudes toward diverse groups
Develop processes to incorporate cultural beliefs into care
Represent the organization to non-healthcare constituents within the community
Provide consultation to community and business leaders regarding nursing and health care
Be an effective board member for community and/or professional organizations
Medical Staff Relationships
Build credibility with physicians as a champion for patient care, quality and nursing professionalism
Confront and address inappropriate behavior towards patients and staff
Represent nursing at medical executive committee and other medical staff committees
Collaborate with medical staff leaders in determining needed patient care services
Collaborate with physicians to develop patient care protocols, policies and procedures
Collaborate with physicians to determine patient care equipment and facility needs
Utilize medical staff mechanisms to address physician clinical performance issues
Facilitate disputes involving physicians and nurses or other disciplines
Determine current and future supply and demand for nursing care
Identify educational needs of existing and potential nursing staff
Collaborate with nursing programs to provide required resources
Collaborate with nursing programs in evaluating quality of graduating clinicians and develop mechanisms to enhance this quality
Serve on academic advisory councils
Collaborate with nursing faculty in nursing research and incorporate nursing research into practice
- Articulate the organizations QI program and goals
- Determine patient care quality improvement goals and objectives
- Define metrics as related to process improvement
- Explain and utilize metrics as a unit of measure for any process
- Articulate the link between metrics and goals
- Articulate the link between organization metrics and national quality initiatives/metrics
- Target outcomes that are evidence-based (comparison data (benchmarking)
- Define Quality metrics by:
o Identifying the problem/process
o Measuring success at improving specific areas of patient care
o Analyzing the root causes or variation from quality standards
o Improving the process with the evidence
- Controlling solutions and sustaining success
- Identify areas of risk/liability
- Ensure staff is educated on risk management and compliance issues
- Develop systems which encourage/require prompt reporting of potential liability by staff at all levels
- Envision and take action to correct identified areas of potential liability
- Support the development and implementation of an organization-wide patient safety program
- Design safe clinical systems, processes, policies and procedures
- Monitor clinical activities to identify both expected and unexpected risks
- Support a non-punitive reporting environment and a reward system for reporting unsafe practices
- Support safety surveys, responding and acting on safety recommendations
- Ensure staff is clinically competent and trained on their role in patient safety
- Articulate and take action to support the Joint Commission National Patient Safety Goals
- Responsible for the administrative aspects of leading the department/ team to include budgeting, time approvals, staff evaluations and expense approvals.
WORK EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS:
- Post graduate degree in nursing or related field.
- Masters or planning on attaining a Masters.
Licenses & Certifications