The original 28 bed Sleepy Eye Municipal Hospital got its start in 1941 when the City Council passed a resolution for a $75,000 bond issue for its construction. The hospital opened in 1942 and an addition to the hospital was added in 1961. On January 1, 2002, the hospital purchased the Sleepy Eye Medical Clinic from the physicians and the Sleepy Eye Medical Center was created. In 2004, an addition to the hospital was built which houses a new clinic, laboratory, radiology department, business office, and health information management department. A new physical therapy and cardiac rehab department was built in the lower level of the addition in 2007.
In addition to patient care, SEMC does several community and outreach programs such as Meals on Wheels, monthly blood pressure clinics, annual Health Day, Bike Safety Rodeo, summer internships, and SEMC is an active member of the Sleepy Eye Area Chamber of Commerce.
-SEMC was designated a Level IV Trauma Hospital in 2007
-In 2003, SEMC expanded its emergency coverage to include Level 1 protocol. Also in 2003, SEMC was issued a Bioterrism Grant from Health Resources and Services Administration to upgrade the Minnesota healthcare system to respond to bioterrism, other outbreaks of infectious disease and other public health emergencies.
-SEMC was designated a Critical Access Hospital through the Minnesota Department of Health and the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services in 2002
-SEMC was awarded the Rural Hospital Transitional Capital Improvement Grant by the Minnesota Department of Health in 2001